Where does our food waste go? Your chance to find out

Jenny Chambers
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 14:13

I've booked to go on the tour of the Cassington Food Waste Plant at midday tomorrow, 29th November. Is anyone else going from Charlbury and if so, shall we carpool? Contact me on 811101, 07766 710465 or jcchambers@hotmail.co.uk

Liz Reason
👍

Thu 24 Nov 2016, 21:17

I've done this tour. It's really interesting and encouraging in more ways than you would expect.

Christine Elliott
👍

Wed 23 Nov 2016, 11:21

My understanding is that there are two positions for people to stand and sort the recycling into the various compartments on the lorry and that paper is at one and cardboard the other - so the advice about sorting cardboard and glass into one box and paper, plastics and tins into another helps this kerbside sorting to be done as quickly as possible.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 23 Nov 2016, 07:50

While we're on the subject of the black boxes: a couple of years ago we were told that, although it's not essential, separating recyclables into different boxes helps the kerbside collectors (in our case we've been doing plastics in one, paper and metal in another, and cardboard + glass in a third). Is that still true or am I wasting my time as I trudge around the back yard in the rain every Monday night?! Are glass and textiles the only things that should now be separated in some way?

Christine Elliott
👍

Tue 22 Nov 2016, 19:30 (last edited on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 19:36)

WODC website explains what happens to your recycling, "fly-away plastics are turned into low grade plastic items such as black sacks and carrier bags." Also see their website about using your black boxes. The next hour-long tour of the anaerobic digestion plant near Cassington is at midday on Tuesday 29 November - booking is essential.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 21 Nov 2016, 23:56

I went to a talk given by WODC on recycling and was told that the "sqiggey" plastic cannot be recycled and to put in the general waste bin. I was also surprised to learn that we don't have to sort the recycling out and can just put all items together in the black boxes.

Claire Wilding
👍

Mon 21 Nov 2016, 22:32

What I'd like to know is what happens to the fly away plastic? That would solve a longstanding argument with my husband about whether there is any point bagging it up for the recycling collection.

john h
👍

Mon 21 Nov 2016, 17:53

Well worth a visit. I went a couple of years ago and found it facinating albeit a little bit smelly.

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 21 Nov 2016, 16:53 (last edited on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 17:52)

Put this on my FB page Liz as it doesn't appear to be on there and I know some friends don't look on here, not like me. It's very informative.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 21 Nov 2016, 16:33 (last edited on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 21:17)

West Oxfordshire District Council is running a free tour to Agrivert Food Waste Plant in Cassington for residents can find out what happens to their food waste once it has been collected from their kerbside.
More information about the tour can be found on our website-
www.westoxon.gov.uk/news/general/food-waste-tour/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn&utm_source=Facebook

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.