Famous people

ivan krechov
👍

Fri 18 May 2007, 19:42

come on john h dont leave it all to me you started it come on down.

ivan krechov
👍

Fri 18 May 2007, 19:35

i think there might be a canadian hobbit called igor or is he a troll. must be a troll because no body is feeding him.

john h
👍

Sun 13 May 2007, 21:45

Ideas please!!, I am sure this will be no problem for our readers

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 12 May 2007, 18:26

Quote" Tolkein tried to buy the bull and based many of the charactors in lord of the rings on people living in charlbury."

This brought a smile to my face.......who would be who I wonder!!!

becky landale
👍

Sat 12 May 2007, 17:26

im not sure if he lived here, but i think Tolkein tried to buy the bull and based many of the charactors in lord of the rings on people living in charlbury.

mandy
👍

Sat 5 May 2007, 11:46

on watching a progrme with bill oddie he said that he comes to enstone quit a bit as that is where graham gardner lives also ross kemp has a cottage in the grounds of blenham.

Steve Vaux
👍

Sat 5 May 2007, 09:43

Charlbury station THE PLACE for Personality spotting! Incidents include catching Graham Garden and Bill Oddie together on Charlbury Station this time last year, Judith Hann formally on Tomorrow's World earlier this year, and my daughter and I seeing Alister Mcgowan hiking away from the station last Autumn

mandy
👍

Fri 27 Apr 2007, 16:59

when in charlbury today with my mum she showed me where the sunshine man use to be and said that the donkey man was in the army with fred pratley.she also told me that there was a little hose on the corner of fiveways called the round house.

mandy
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 09:28

my grandad was a fireman for years and nan used to clean the fire station.you must know now eveyone new my grandparents.so if you know them you know my parents.

john h
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:52

thought so

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:50

mandys mum has got the same name as my older sister and her grandad george lived round the corner from you.

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:45

the sunshine corner man used to drive a blue three wheeler and play the accordian. the mollarts had not built the shop at that time. it was all allotments behind sturt road.

john h
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:41

ear, mandy, did your grandparents live in charlbury??

john h
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:39

Certanly remember fred able, last year itv ran a series on thursday evening, and fred was featured on the program, a new series has just started. The sunshine corner man was mr rasmussen (hope that is how you spell it)he used to run a sunday school type of thing on the grass opposite 5ways store ,don't think that was built then.enough rambling

mandy
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 18:38

i've heard my mum talk about the donkey man

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 18:11

john i bow to your knowledge as you have a couple of years on me.any way talking of famous people in charlbury a summer visitor fred ables flea circus alias the donkey man and the sun shine corner man.it will only be us that will remember them.

mandy
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 16:24

graham gardner lives in enstone and jack straw has a cottage in old minster.also my neighber is theo walcot auntie.

Dave Gamble
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 14:54

Do I count? I played in the same team as a certain Andrew Flintoff!
Incidentally, if you have read his book Being Freddie, you may recall he said he scored 80 odd on his debut for St Annes C C. Tosh! He actually scored 31 not out & I took 5 wickets!
Hey, David Walton, you've jogged my memory about Christina
Onassis but I don't remember you delivering vino from the cellars of the chemist. Must have been when I was working for the Charlbury dairy before going to school & on the weekends.
Was that the difference between you going to Chippy & me to Spendlove?!!

mandy
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 10:46

well with his amount of money would'nt you.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 10:46

And dont forget Jeremy Clarkson in Chippy. Also, though Graham Garden was around these parts; and I've met Jack Straw at the station - though I think he lives in Minster Lovell.

Don Kelly
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 10:07

I think George Michael has had a cottage in most places in Oxforshire, and in fact most of the home counties ;)

mandy
👍

Sun 22 Apr 2007, 16:54

going abit further afield george michael hasa place in goring robin gibb is in thame helen boham carter in in stevenage rowan atkinson is in thame there are lots of famous people in oxfordshire.my brother ownes 2 flower shops and has loads of famous people to deliver to.

john h
👍

Sun 22 Apr 2007, 14:50

Ivan
It was a pill factory for while, before moving to forest hill "honest!" and also an abattoir for a time,a tannery and more. john h

ivan krechov
👍

Sun 22 Apr 2007, 13:30

john it was a candle factory in fishers lane

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 22 Apr 2007, 11:51

...and David Cameron still does, at least some of the time.

Derek Collett
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 21:39

I've seen the following "celebs" at the station in the last year or so, some of whom presumably live locally: Fiona Fullerton, Douglas Hurd, Marks and Gran the comedy writers (Birds of a Feather, The New Statesman, etc.) and the actor who played O'Donnell in This Life (don't know his name!). Ronnie Barker used to live in Dean of course.

graham W
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 17:52

I think John H has a double along with Dave!

john h
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 16:21

Graham

Harry Pickup did live in this Town at Wychwood House (now flats),had a "pill factory" in fishers lane and later down by the station. The harpic may be an urban myth although it fits the name

john h
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 16:17

Dave
Lives opposite me

John H

mandy
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 10:09

robert hardy lives in cornbury park, ben kingsley lives in spelsbury,
david yates lives in charlbury he's a filming the harry poter films and has made many tv dramas,there are lots of famous people around oxfordshire.

david t walton
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 08:12

Famous or infamous !!?? Christina Onassis lived in Charlbury for a while ...I often delivered the Chateaux Neuf de Pape to Lord Blandfords digs in the 60's from the cellars of the Chemist Shop and had the occasional chat with her in those palatial grounds. Wonder what happened to Mary Longshore who worked at the Chemist in those days??

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 21 Apr 2007, 00:26

Rowan Williams!

One of the most unnerving experiences I've ever had as church organist is to idly scan the congregation on Christmas Eve, wondering who I can see, only for my eyes to alight upon the new Archbishop of Canterbury...

graham W
👍

Fri 20 Apr 2007, 21:24

Other the our dear Freddie Jones, is there or has there been anyone famous that has lived in our town. I don't know if this is true but I heard that the chap who invented Harpic cleaner lived here - Harry Pickup - is this true?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.