Family History

malcolm peers
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2016, 15:18

Thanks for your info Peter. We will try and get down soon to have a look around.
best regards

Peter Bennett
👍

Sun 21 Aug 2016, 19:33

Hi Malcolm,
The Brookfield family burials are recorded in the registers of the parish church, St. Mary's, but the memorials were transcribed some years ago and there is nothing for the name Brookfield. However, some of those recorded in the church register are actually buried in the town cemetery. Those memorials have not been transcribed, but it is not a huge task to walk around and check them all. The library is open Saturday 0930-1200, but the only item they have which might help is the volume of monumental inscriptions, which I have checked. You might be lucky at the museum, which is open Sat. 1000-1200 and Sun. 1430-1630. They will have photos of the station, and they have extracts from the 'Oxford Times' from 1862 into the 20th century, which might mention the family. I was at the museum yesterday, but did not have your note or I would have looked.
Good luck with the search.

malcolm peers
👍

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 12:40

Hi Peter. Apologies for the delay in sending my thanks due to holiday commitments with the children. Thank you very much for your help with the information. My wife was excited to know that her family were there. Do you know which church they would be buried at as you seem to have a diversity of churches there. We plan to have another visit and take some photo's of the grave. We will try and do it on a Saturday this time as I believe the local library is only open on certain days and times. Best regards

Peter Bennett
👍

Sun 14 Aug 2016, 14:24

The 1895 Oxfordshire directory has Thomas Brookfield, station master at Charlbury. See the online directories at specialcollections.le.ac.uk/ There are baptisms of their children at Charlbury 1879 to 1906 (John on 12 March 1882). Thomas was buried here in 1910, Charlotte in 1928.

malcolm peers
👍

Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:00

My wife is trying to find any information about the family of Thomas and Charlotte Brookfield who in the 1891 census lived in Dyers Hill Rd (no house Number). His age at that time was 37. There were 11 members in the family (obviously no TV or Internet then). Thomas's profession is given as a Railway Station Master (possibly Charlbury?). We understand that he was one of the first to use the Telegraph system. Of particular interest is son John, (8 at the census time), my wife's grandfather. We visited last week to see the road, and as we were corrected to refer to CHarlbury as a town not a village. We met a lovely lady, Sue Cooper, and a gentleman named Stephen. Any advice you may be able to offer would be very much appreciated. Best regards from Carol Brookfield

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.