Tina's Dance at the Street Fair - The highlight of the day

Rachael Lunney
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2016, 09:03

wow thanks miles.

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2016, 08:42

I have been promised at least £400 already - including a very generous £100 from someone on this thread and he doesn't even have a kid in the show! Many thanks. I will update when i have spoken to a few more people.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 15:56

Rest assured this is being addressed for this year. However, if someone or group could start fund raising for next year's, would be great! Just to let you this would cost in the region of £1300 which is a lot of money to come out profits, and hence reducing the amount if money going to the Corner House. Please contact me directly if you would like to involved on susanna_finch@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance. Next Street Fair meeting this coming Monday at 8pm in the Corner House. All those interested in helping in any capacity please come along - we need you.

sarah routley
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 15:55

This might be a silly questions -but street fair always has a stage up in front of the bell, is there anyway this could be redesigned to fit Tina's needs so there is no need to obtain a second stage?

Ruth Williams
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 14:01

Would Cornbury Festival or Wilderness help to overcome this immediate problem and then start fund raising for next year?

mandy
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 13:37

Can't they borrow a stage from somewhere there must be someone that could let them borrow a stage for a few hours

Rachael Lunney
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 13:05

if you now of any local business how will sponsor tina or if any local bussines is reading this, but we usually get money out of gwr but not this year.

Neil V.
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 12:56

Would a local business sponsor the Tina's Dance event, contributing to the stage cost?

Rachael Lunney
👍

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 12:31

the stage is going to cost £1,300 if anyone would like to donate please contact
csfchairman@charlburystreetfair.org,

Suzy M-H
👍

Tue 12 Jul 2016, 11:34

How about someone setting up crowdfunding? I've never done this myself but I've heard it can be an effective way of raising funds fast.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 18:52

That's good news Miles. Is there any way of getting a realistic idea before school breaks up for the summer of how much money parents would be willing to contribute to a big stage? The next Street Fair meeting is a week today on Monday 18th so if we could have some idea by then that would be most helpful. We wouldn't be looking to cover the complete cost (although it would obviously be brilliant if we could!).

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 17:06

I know that quite a few of the parents would be willing to chip in towards the use of the big stage. Happy to collect at the show also.

Martin prew
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 15:42

There must be a way to raise the money needed for the stage, I'm sure some of the parents would be happy to stand with some collection buckets before and after the show and explain to people that we need to pay for the stage. As for the old school stage it is not really big enough or that safe for the 80+ children that take part in the show.
The location at the back of the bell was perfect last year as everyone could see the performance.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 15:31

Thanks Jim - I'll be in touch

Jim Holah
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 13:54

To clarify the "old school stage" was recycled from the S hool after the Beer Festival provided a new stage for the school some years ago. We store it at the old Cricket Pavilion for the use of any community group needing it. There's no charge but just a request to respect it & return it to the pavilion in good condition. It needs a decent sized trailer or van to transport it though.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 13:39

Currently the plans are to use the old school stage at a location still to be finalised. We would love to provide a stage such as the one used last year but the expected cost of at least £1,000 (due to the uneven ground) would be by far the highest single cost incurred by the event representing a significant drain on the profits raised for the Corner House and Memorial Hall. One possible solution to this would be to secure sponsorship to offset part or all of these costs (as we do for the evening entertainment for example). If anyone is willing and able to provide and/or locate such sponsorship please let me know.

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:38

Do you know if the stage will be provided again, as that really made the show last year?

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:29

Wonderful news, thanks Peter!

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 11:33

Let me put everyone's mind at rest - Tina's Dance Show WILL be included in the Street Fair programme on Saturday 17th September! I agree completely with Miles' comments and congratulate Tina, her team and all the children involved on another amazing show. Street Fair is about bringing the community together and I'm delighted that the show WILL again be a highlight of the day.

To give a bit of background, there have been issues of logistics and cost which needed to be resolved and this has been more difficult this year because of the severe shortage of volunteers on the Street Fair team. You are probably aware that there was a real danger that Street Fair itself may have had to be cancelled this year due to lack of supporters prepared to join the team and it is only due to the supreme efforts and dedication of those remaining and in particular to Susie Finch that the event will go ahead as usual. So if you are prepared to help in any way, we would love to hear from you. Please contact csfchairman@charlburystreetfair.org .

vicky burton
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 11:28

There was talk on this forum ( flick back a few pages) of an "Old School Stage" belonging to the cricket club. Would this suit perhaps?

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 11:06 (last edited on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 11:07)

The rumor is that they do not wish to hire the stage, which may be as much as £1,000, and if correct is definitely something to consider. My thoughts are that the show attracts a lot of people - friends, family, etc - who will spend at the fair. More importantly, the whole point of the fair is community involvement. 50-60 local children and their family being involved each year IS the community.

nigel rosser
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 10:48

Why may it not be included?

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 11 Jul 2016, 10:27

I have heard that Tina's Dance show may not be included in the Street Fair this year and I have to say I am amazed. For me it is the highlight of the event (full disclosure - my kid is in it, all my friend's kids are in it - but that is kinda the point). We are incredibly lucky to have Tina (a genuinely world-class dancer and wonderful choreographer) not to mention the costume designers, in Charlbury. We must be one of the only towns to have a school show which is actually worth seeing if your kids aren't in it! So we have a show which brings together the community, brings grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends from all around (mine will come from Stratford to see it) all spending money and seeing our great town. Any town fair would kill for that (or could pay £5,000 for a professional company). Anyway, here is a quick reminder, and I hope we get to see what is an amazing show this year, in September - vimeo.com/140580871

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.