Local Schools

Michael Sibly
👍

Wed 19 Dec 2007, 05:47

Chipping Norton is an excellent School, despite the Government's interference with the maintained sector, and our children are very happy there.

John Larder
👍

Tue 18 Dec 2007, 19:07

I might have a slight inkling who it could have been John

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 18 Dec 2007, 10:01

I'm just amazed at the ignorance of someone who could post such rubbish.

What an incredibly insightful rebuttal!

I stand corrected.

john h
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 23:03

Not someone you would have know John??

graham W
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 23:00

A headmaster who did not tolerate bullying, anti-social behaviour, etc but taught us respect and courtesy

Andy Godfrey
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 22:29

"I'm just amazed at the attitude that accepts bullying as somehow good for you, normal or overblown".
I'm just amazed at the ignorance of someone who could post such rubbish.

John Larder
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 20:36

graham W - I am wondering just who the Headmaster might have been!!!!

Chris Tatton
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 16:47

Gary - Sounds like you might have transferred your son at the wrong time. Chipping Norton school has a new Head Teacher who is very impressive and the school achieved the second highest GCSE results of County state schools last year!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 14:32

I'm just amazed at the attitude that accepts bullying as somehow good for you, normal or overblown.

It reflects a general ignorance of the reality of a situation that more than occasionally results in suicides amongst primary and secondary school children. Anyone with children that have been on the receiving end of orchestrated and persistent bullying knows exactly why this kind flippancy is so counter productive.

It's a serious problem that is taken seriously by educators and government ministers alike, which is why there's a nation-wide policy on bullying in schools supported by all three political parties and why it's addressed by head teachers in assemblies and through school resources throughout the country. Trivializing the issue serves no purpose whatsoever, except to make somewhat small people feel slightly bigger than they are; but then that's the cause of the problem in the first place, isn't it?

Gary McAlea
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 10:37

I took my son out of Chipping Norton school as the set up there is not very good. The staff have trouble understanding simple instructions and the head was very limp with no respect from pupils and did not make an impression.
Have found Burford to be a lot better and was very lucky getting him in as there was a wainting list of people wanting to transfer out of Chippy. Burford has old fashioned principals and standards which work well. Also a Centre of Excellence in Engineering/Science.

Anna Fairhurst
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 07:04

A couple of years ago at Stonesfield Primary, we were going through the cupboards and found the old punishment book from 1902. The names in it, which recorded what they had done and how many strokes of the cane they had, were all the same ones, again and again. Surely evidence that the cane didn't work! I agree that bullying is a spectrum, but I'd far rather a school veers slightly towards being over-vigilant than the other way round: children can be made really miserable by behaviour which others might not see the harm in, if they're not given help, and "real" bullying can cause long-lasting harm to a child's ability to form relationships.

Andy Godfrey
👍

Sat 15 Dec 2007, 20:54

Igor, who was the intended recipient of your reply?

graham W
👍

Sat 15 Dec 2007, 13:10

Bit harsh there Igor, but can see your point, No doubt there are many of us especially those who left school in the early / mid 70's, had the cane / ruler / slipper. I was a regular outside the Headmaster's office - even said to me "I think you should open account here", then after clearing his desk, thrahed to an inch of my life, put back his stuff, went home told me dad then got thrashed again - Ah the good old days. However it never done me any harm and taught me manners, courtesy and respect.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 15 Dec 2007, 13:03

Small wonder that primary school children are bullied when adults such ignorance on the subject.

Bring back hanging.

Andy Godfrey
👍

Sat 15 Dec 2007, 10:08

Define bullying.
It seems to me we live in times of over protective parents mollycoddling "sensitive" children. Children will make fun of each other, call each other names & this has now come under the cloak of bullying.
Some of the cases I've heard from the Primary school have been ridiculous.

graham W
👍

Sat 15 Dec 2007, 09:22

Bring back the cane that will stop Bullying

dave wells
👍

Fri 14 Dec 2007, 20:43

Please be aware that bullying happens at primary schools too. There have been incidents at Charlbury School in recent years. I believe Mrs Holt and the Governors are about to reissue the school's policy in this area and I would encourage all parents and pupils to help the staff identify and deal appropriately with any incidents of bullying that occur.

mandy
👍

Fri 14 Dec 2007, 17:05

it don't matter what schoo; you go to there will always be a bully
my son is at woodgreen ands is doing well.i have never had any problem with woodgren.

Charles Vaughn
👍

Fri 14 Dec 2007, 12:04

I disagree, I know of several bright children at different Local Comps that are doing badly because of bullying.

Ruth Holiday
👍

Wed 12 Dec 2007, 22:32

I went to personally was educated at Chipping Norton School and have done alright with my grades in the school. If your children are going to do well in a school, they would probably do well where-ever they went.

Chris Tatton
👍

Mon 10 Dec 2007, 17:42

According to the latest GCSE results, Chipping Norton school achieved the second highest of state schools in the County . 67% of students gained 5 or more A* to C grades including English and Maths.
At A level over 53% of students achieved A and B grades, with nearly three quarters of all grades being A, B or C.

Charles Vaughn
👍

Tue 20 Mar 2007, 16:21

Marlborough school in Woodstock is one of the best in the county according to the league tables. Not too far away from Charlbury.

mandy
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2007, 08:04

i dont live in charlbury so cant get my son to chipping norton school not that i would send him there any way.woodgreen won 1 millon pound to make there drama studio the best in all the scondary schools with fliming and a recording studio so im sorry but im all for woodgreen.

ivan krechov
👍

Sun 18 Mar 2007, 13:06

all charlbury kids should be sent to chipping norton school it will toughen them up for the real world.and if they want to learn every thing is there for them. all in all a great school.

mandy
👍

Thu 15 Mar 2007, 07:57

chipping norton school must have changed i went there and hated it it was very rough with different gangs.thats why i sent my son to woodgreen in witney.also he wanted tobe with his friends.i have had no problems with woodgreen

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 14 Mar 2007, 16:47

'Drugs' covers such a wide category of substances these days that it's hard to know how to answer. From substances like cannabis and ecstacy for which there is still some debate over the degree and nature of risk they pose, to speed, cocaine and heroin, for which there is no question as to the level of harm.

Of course the most lethal and available drug of abuse amongst young people these days is alcohol.

Unfortunately, it's also the prevalent drug of choice.

EmTaig
👍

Wed 14 Mar 2007, 16:39

Thanks for your recommendations, the link was interesting too Richard, thanks. As someone in last years discussion pointed out we will have to go and visit them ourselves to see which, if either, will best suit.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 14 Mar 2007, 13:30

If you're interested, here is where it was discussed last year.

Chris Tatton
👍

Wed 14 Mar 2007, 12:57

Em - I would recommend Chipping Norton School to anyone who is thinking about choice of secondary school. I think we are lucky in that all of the local schools are very good, and it is often a difficult decision to choose which one. However our daughter wanted to go to Chipping Norton partly because many of her friends were going there. We have no regrets about the choice, she is incredibly happy there (not everyone can say that about their school days) and we find that the teaching staff are execellent.

mandy
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2007, 22:44

it all depends where you live but woodgreen school in witney is a very good school also burford school there about the best to but thas just what i think.i do know that woodgreen are very strict on drugs and do alot of lessons with children and parents to let them know whats going on.good luck.

EmTaig
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2007, 10:32

Hi, we are relatively new to the country and have children who will be going up to secondary school in the not so distant future. Would anyone have any recommendations as to which one?

Also, drugs were fairly prevalent when I was at school but I gather that drug use has become more mainstream over the last fifteen years or so in the UK. Is this generalisation true, or false, for the local schools in anyone’s opinion?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.