BREXIT - The movie (Debate)

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Mon 23 May 2016, 14:16

A secret government memo today reveals how a trade war between European Union countries is damaging the British economy.

The damning Whitehall assessment ?" seen by the Telegraph ?" has found that France and other EU countries are hampering new "free-trade" deals because they want to protect their farmers from the extra competition.

David Cameron claims that the power of Brussels to negotiate these free-trade agreements with parts of the world such as the United States is a critical reason why Britain must not leave the EU.

But the memorandum suggests that Britain is losing out on £2.5 billion a year in potential trade as a result of the ongoing delays to a proposed deal between the EU and Latin America.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/21/trade-wars-memo-shows-eu-is-costing-uk-billions/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Mon 23 May 2016, 14:07 (last edited on Mon 23 May 2016, 14:10)

It is frankly laughable for #remain to argue we can rely on a veto on Turkey joining the EU. Will David Cameron eat his words?

twitter.com/TheRedRag/status/734352955177086976/video/1

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Mon 23 May 2016, 14:00

David Cameron's closest friend in politics today breaks ranks to say Britain must leave the 'arrogant and unaccountable' EU.
In a shattering blow to the Prime Minister, Steve Hilton claims the UK is 'literally ungovernable' as a democracy while it remains in a club that has been 'corruptly captured' by a self-serving elite

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3603793/
Why-quit-EU-Cameron-s-guru-Friend-strategist-Steve-Hilton-breaks-ranks-Brexit-say-Britain-literally-ungovernable-unless-power-self-serving-elite.html#ixzz49U1t8iUC

NADINE MILLS
👍

Sun 22 May 2016, 10:20

This is a very informative film - just over an hour long about the workings of the European Union. There are some major contributors and it is fairly non - biased. For those wanting more info than that contained in the leaflets through our doors it is a good watch.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 19 May 2016, 09:41

Malcolm: the key word is "specifically Charlbury-related". Plenty of politics has an effect on Charlbury people one way or another - from tuition fees to the US presidential election. But so that we keep the main board Charlbury-focused, this sort of thing is better in the Grease Pit.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 16:52

Only the first born of every family I believe Miles :)

Miles Walkden
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 13:33

I heard that Europe will soon be able to eat our children if we dont Brexit soon. Is this correct?

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 11:13

Richard I have to strongly disagree that this is not Charlbury related. It is more so than the recent local elections IMO
The EU has so much influence over our lives now including Charlbury and its residents. This is not what I voted for all those years ago. It will be the most important decision we make about our country probably for the next if not two generations.

I agree its a controversial subject but then politics always is!

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 11:04

So the rhetoric from the remain side isnt inaccurate and alarmist rubbish?
Like there will be another war in Europe if we leave the EU!

The Swiss situation seems an excellent role model for the UK?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 10:49

Moving to the Grease Pit as not specifically Charlbury-related (and liable to cause a punchup).

James Styring
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 10:38

I watched a bit but found it to be inaccurate and alarmist rubbish. Anyway, are we allowed to post about politics here?

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 18 May 2016, 09:59

Some interesting facts and views aired here - about an hour long but I found it very worthwhile - food for thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.