Best route to Newbury from here?

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 23 Mar 2016, 15:22

My experience with the google maps time estimates is that they vary according to the time of day. Which is clever, but means you may not get an accurate estimate for rush hour if you look the night before.

James Styring
👍

Wed 23 Mar 2016, 11:53

On Google maps you can now tell it what time your journey is going to be. It's pretty reliable and takes out the guesswork. goo.gl/fUBVv4

Peter Bridgman
👍

Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:05

There is another route to Newbury, completely avoiding the A34. Go to Wantage on the A338. From Wantage take the B4494 which goes over the downs and is a lovely drive to Newbury You come onto the A4 about 1/2 a mile west of the big junction.

brian
👍

Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:04

I would try and avoid the A34 at all costs ~!. Go via Witney, Kingston Bagpuise, Frilford Heath and Wantage. The road from Wantage to Newbury is a 'b' road, but very quite with never any hold ups. On top of that the scenery is wonderful. Of course you could take the train...leave Charlbury @ 6.33, change at Reading and arrive Newbury 7.44.

Katrina Ross
👍

Tue 22 Mar 2016, 07:11

Might be to late as you may already be on your way, but the worst bit is around didcot and the road works!
That time shouldn't be to bad getting onto A34

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 22 Mar 2016, 01:06

My husband leaves at 6.40am to get to this side of Newbury in time for work

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Mon 21 Mar 2016, 22:50

Go to Witney and follow the signs for Abingdon on the A415 past Ducklington and Standlake and join the A34 at Abingdon.

Kat Ward
👍

Mon 21 Mar 2016, 21:37

Does anyone know the best route from Charlbury to Newbury? I have to be there around 8-8.30 and have no idea what the traffic is like at that time of the morning. I fear that the oxford A34 route might be jam packed. RAC has another route going via Witney, Standlake, Southmoor, East Hanney then A34? or via Minster Lovell, Bampton, Southmoor joining the A34 past Marcham. Not sure what time to leave either but guess before 7am! Many Thanks Kat

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.