Charlbury area - nice cycle route suitable for trailer

Sean Hosking
👍

Sat 12 Mar 2016, 21:14

That's all really helpful. Thank you all for the useful info.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Fri 11 Mar 2016, 22:22

Wherever you want to cycle, the cycle.travel website has a very good route planner which plots the best, safest routes on quiet streets and country lanes.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 11 Mar 2016, 11:09

Ditchley Rd is currently busy with lorries & trailers transporting building material to the new estate at Kearsey Gate, plus the normal farm traffic and the like.

From approximately 24th March & for roughly 6 weeks, there will be major road works whilst developers put in sewage and water pipes. At the start of the period, there will be 1 way traffic controlled by traffic lights between Chartwell Drive and Small Acres. But towards the end of the period while the developers are working at the narrowest part of the road, access will be across "trench plates" which will cover the open access points. During this latter period, the developers are predicting long delays.

The developers say that work will be carried out after 9.30 and before 15.00. They don't say whether or not they intend to work at weekends.

I personally wouldn't want to be cycling with a trailer along the road during that time & am also doubtful how safe it is before that. The upper (narrow) part of Ditchley Rd is full of extremely deep potholes & is in a shocking state. A single cyclist can avoid the potholes with ease, but with a trailer it is much more difficult. The narrowness of the road & lack of passing places would also seem quite hazardous to me.

I'm not sure where else to suggest, however. Blenheim Park would be wonderful, but is only open to cyclists on a family day in August. The pathways in Witney near Cogges Farm Museum are also ideal, but probably not long enough for your needs.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 11 Mar 2016, 10:26

Agree very much with Sue's suggestion. The Salt Way is bumpy but rideable.

From Easter you can cycle along the footpath through Cornbury Park. Again, it's a little bumpy and you might have an issue with the trailer getting through the kissing gate at the far end until we can replace that.

Otherwise the challenge is always that you have to cycle on a busy road for a short way before you get onto the quiet roads - and whichever direction you go, it's hilly! But if you can stomach that, there are some lovely roads nearby: the road towards Kiddington from the Woodstock Road (turn left just before the wood), the road towards Leafield from the Burford Road (turn left at the top of the hill), and the road along the valley side from Fawler towards North Leigh. (I wouldn't suggest cycling to Fawler along the main road with a trailer, though.)

Sean Hosking
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 20:15

Thanks Sue, I will give that a go. We're relatively new to Charlbury, so am looking forward to getting us out into the beautiful countryside.

Sue Normand
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 18:27

You could go up Ditchley Rd and then left on Salt way - cross Enstone rd and down to Taston. Come back via Spelsbury rd - on a sat afternoon or sunday only..

Sean Hosking
👍

Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:57 (last edited on Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:59)

I am looking for ideas for a cycle route suitable to tow a wide kids trailer (With a 3 year old in it).

Ideally a few miles starting and ending in Charlbury, and not on the main roads.

Any ideas would be welcome.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.