Have YOUR say on parking in West Oxfordshire!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 17:02

Free parking is probably the main reason I don't shop much in Witney or Chippy. The car parks are so busy on a Saturday that getting a space is stressful and frustrating, and as someone whose car manoeuvring skills aren't great, I'd rather not have that stress. I can get the bus (and sometimes do), which is £5 and excellent. But the train to Oxford is only £4, it runs into the evening, and the shops (and pubs!) are better. So I go to Oxford instead.

At least the wind relented this morning so that I could cycle to the dentist in Chippy!

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 16:44

Here is an extract from a document entitled Oxfordshire Parking Policy published in September 2014. In answer to the question, "How can parking in smaller towns be managed to best support the local economy and the needs of the local residents?" It states that: "Parking is a service which has to be managed properly. A "free for all" (no restrictions, no charges, no enforcement) approach is not an option. A good quality service will meet the needs of all of its customers - shoppers, visitors, workers and residents." I am afraid that this poorly designed WODC survey does not even start to scratch the surface of this issue, and certainly provides no opportunity to raise wider issues.

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 16:12

Well I am pleased to say I have been able to complete the survey today with no problems whatsoever and didn't need to comment on all the car parks. I think there must have been a 'blip' in the system before.

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 14:41 (last edited on Tue 9 Feb 2016, 14:42)

Unfortunately, the bus subsidies are managed by the County and the car parking is managed by the District and any charges for parking would go in to the wrong coffers.....but you have a good point!

Angus B
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 13:18

Success! Everything worked very efficiently today.

Nick Millea
👍

Tue 9 Feb 2016, 10:43

Surely this is the time for joined-up thinking? If people want to save the X9 bus services, then now is the time to encourage WODC to start charging for parking. Consider the blue touch paper lit ....

Angus B
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 16:33

Sorry, Harriet, but it wasn't that page (I managed that one even though I didn't fill in the spaces for the car parks I don't use); it was the next one. I've tried twice more to do the survey but got as far as page 3, once, and page four, once. Then it froze and wouldn't continue to the following page. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 14:43

I think that on the question that asks you about what you think of the car parks that has several listed, you have to comment on all of them, even if you don't use the car parks (eg if you don't use Carterton, you must still fill in info about it). So if you don't use them fill in "Don't know" or whatever the relevant option was. I filled it in in that way and had no problems with the questionaire

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 14:05

That's exactly what happened to me Angus when I got to page where asked several questions about 'what did think of car park'. I gave up too.

Angus B
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 11:43

I tried to complete the form but it kept saying "This question requires an answer" to one I had already answered so, frustrated, I gave up!

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 11:34 (last edited on Mon 8 Feb 2016, 11:36)

It went live today, Simon, though I knew it was being proposed. I have posted the full story under News together with the link for the online survey

Simon Walker
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 11:19

Done - but this was the first that I had heard about this survey.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 10:10

WODC looking to enhance our future provision of FREE parking across the District.
Please take a few minutes to complete our online parking survey to help us gain a better understanding of the issues you face.
Let us know your thoughts before midday on Monday 29 February.socsi.in/JaSJk

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.