Charlbury Go / Weiqi

Angus B
👍

Tue 24 Nov 2015, 13:36

… and there was me thinking it was the Waddington board game I played when I was young; it involved jetting around the world from what I remember….

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 24 Nov 2015, 11:04

Deborah, Go is an ancient Board Game, originating over 2500 years ago in China, and still hugely popular in Japan, China and South East Asia. The game involves the capture of territory, and it is often claimed that real-life land disputes were sometimes settled via a game of Go. Now, there's a good idea for Charlbury ...

There are only 2 basic rules, although there are minor differences between the way these are interpreted in the various Asian cultures. The rest is down to strategy, tactics and the aesthetic look of the game. There is also a brilliant handicapping system so that beginners can play much more experienced players on an equitable basis.

And, yes, I might be interested in meeting up occasionally -- although it's years since I played.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Mon 23 Nov 2015, 21:40 (last edited on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 21:40)

Can someone please elaborate? What is 'Go'?

Jacob Johannsen
👍

Sun 22 Nov 2015, 22:13

I could very well be interested. I have played a little bit, but I am still very much a novice.

(Sorry for the late reply. I don't check the forums often.)

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 6 Nov 2015, 14:36

I'd like to learn properly :)

Victoria Chan
👍

Tue 3 Nov 2015, 22:28

Wondering if there are Go enthusiasts in Charlbury who are keen to meet up to play a game or to teach new players, maybe every fortnight or so in the evening at The Bell?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.