Why this clash of dates?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:35

This can be very frustrating. The vOx choir from Oxford have announced that they will hold a Christmas concert in St Mary's on Sunday 13 December. Time? Listed on the Charlbury website? Listed on their own website? Answering emails? All negative.

I will try again.

Liz Gupta
👍

Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:08

Thanks - great idea. I haven just added the Mulled wine night at the Pre School on Friday December 4th. More details to be added but fingers crossed it does not clash with any other events.

Bernard West
👍

Wed 21 Oct 2015, 10:45

Good idea - I'll make sure we do that in future & will encourage other groups I'm involved with to do likewise. Thanks!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:20

For Charlbury-based events, you're always very welcome to post them on the website at the earliest opportunity. Even if it's just a placeholder to say "More details to come", you can come back at a later date to add more details. That way (hopefully!) others planning events can check on the website to see if anything else has been organised for that evening.

Bernard West
👍

Tue 20 Oct 2015, 10:54

Speaking on behalf of the Wychwood Chorale, we'd rather have avoided this as well, as we'd much rather both events could have as big an audience as possible in support of their charities. We do our best to avoid clashes (for example by doing our Christmas concert earlier than usual this year) but it's hard to find out details of every other event, particularly a long way ahead - we arranged the date and venue for this particular concert back in January.

I've known of various attempts at calendars locally to avoid clashes, but they've never been very successful. It is always a shame to have things on the same night but there's so much going on in this area, particularly towards the ends of terms, and only limited dates and venues available.

I hope both events can find good audiences, as they're both in aid of worthy causes - do come along to one or the other!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Sun 18 Oct 2015, 18:03

Yes, that's a shame. The Variety Show has been booked for several months and we could not do it earlier because of the CADs panto in the Memorial Hall. But as Richard says, great that so much is going on in Charlbury. We still have space for about 4 more acts for the Variety Show if anyone is interested...and the line up is looking fantastic again. Tickets will be on sale in the Post Office from 1st November.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 18 Oct 2015, 16:55

The Wychwood Chorale isn't exclusively (or even significantly) a Charlbury-based organisation so it's probably not realistic for them to arrange their calendar around whatever else might be happening in Charlbury.

There are only four weekends in Advent, and singers/conductors/organists are generally busy with preparations for their own church's Advent and Christmas services later in the season. Certainly we've rescheduled our own (St Mary's) Advent Choral Evensong for the following weekend partly because a couple of our choir members are also in the Wychwood Chorale, so it gives us a clear week for rehearsals afterwards, and partly because we'd expect a better turnout on a weekend where there isn't another choral event.

It's a shame, but on balance I'm glad to live in a place which has more than one good thing happening on an evening!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 18 Oct 2015, 13:28

The Wychwood Chorale are holding their Advent concert in St Mary's (proceeds to the church and to Singing for Syria) on the same night as the Memorial Hall will be jam packed for the long-publicised Variety Show (in aid of the community centre appeal). Surely this is nobody's interests?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.