Walkers are Welcome Charlbury Boards at Coop

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 24 Sep 2015, 22:06

We will be putting up information on where you can get local maps as suggested by Tim and would also like to give information about where walkers can get refreshments so can local businesses let me know wht they would like to put up on the notice board?

James Styring
👍

Fri 11 Sep 2015, 16:20

The map on the Co-op wall looks great, well done Richard!

I think three local shops sell those Charlbury & Wychwood forest walking maps. In the Co-op they'd only get lost behind a pallet load of crisps or "seasonal" chocolates.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 23 Aug 2015, 11:30

The ultimate aim is that we'll actually have our own app rather than a third-party paid-for one.

Tony H Merry
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 18:19

Thanks for all these comments and will take note
I put some more info on the notice board and did sign up to iFootpath

stephen cavell
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 09:20

Thanks Tim & John. I would agree with the idea of a permanent notice on the 'Walkers are Welcome' as to where one can find the relevant information.

John Munro
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 08:52

Another suggestion would be to 'team up' with the iFootpath app, get some of our local walks uploaded and then have a sign on the Walkers Welcome board directing them to the app.
I have used the app in other places and works really well.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 08:44 (last edited on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 08:54)

I sell around and about Charlbury & the Wychwood forest walking map at Cotswold Frames which is part of Ordnance survey explorer 180 & 191 its a nice little laminated dbl sided folded map with walking measure and only cost £3.95 each, and I'm pretty sure that the other shops in the town centre sell maps of sorts so we can already cater for the walkers on that side so there's no need to bother the co-op when the TOWN CENTRE already caters for most peoples needs, what we could do with is a permanent sign attached to the walkers notice board to say that maps are available in the local shops.

stephen cavell
👍

Sat 22 Aug 2015, 07:42

Thought you might be interested in my interaction with two walkers yesterday. I was on volunteer library duty Friday AM - the very morning you announced the boards at the Coop. A couple came in asking advice on a 5/8 mile walk with a pub in the middle. They had seen 'your' map but were looking for local advice since this was their first ever visit to Charlbury. We were chatting about the options when it became clear that
what they were looking for was a local walking map to buy and more detail about what they would be seeing on the walk. I remember Jon Carpenter always had a range of booklets covering various walks - the Wychwood Project produced one on the Wychwood Way; Oxfordshire CC did a series and so on. I could not find them in the library (I will check with the librarian today) neither could they be found in the PO but the couple were quite pleased to find the map 'Around and About Charlbury'. So my suggestion is that a list of the available booklets/walking maps be put together and see if the Coop can be persuaded to put them on sale.

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:27 (last edited on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:33)

Well the boards are up now
But this is only the START
What we need now is to get more people on the committee and to get input
So we really need input from Charlbury businesses on what they would like to see from visitors
We would like to hear From walkers at all levels about walks around the Town this must include those looking for dog friendly walks, walks which kids can do, and walks for those who have problems walking longer distances
So if you like walking please let us know. We are always open to ideas for walks and the more input the better
Its not a big commitment - about 4 meetings per year and we can take care of organising and marking the routes. We have three Cotswold Voluntary wardens after all
This is a great opportunity for the Town and we want to involve as many people as possible
So either send a message via this website or just post on this topic . After all it is our Town and I am sure many of us would like to share it

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.