Bees

Janet Burroughs
👍

Mon 17 Aug 2015, 20:25

Paul, if you wish to contact me I would be happy to discuss your bee problem.

However, for the benefit of all who might read this post, I would like to clarify the position. In order to successfully collect a swarm, it is necessary to ensure that the Queen bee is collected, otherwise the bees that are collected and removed will simply return to the original location. The Queen will be in the middle of the swarm, well protected by her worker bees. If a swarm has settled on a bush or an accessible limb of a tree, then successful collection is generally easy - the bees are shaken into a skip, or cardboard box, and shaking should ensure that the Queen falls in with the bees.
However, if a swarms only settle on bushes or trees temporarily while they are looking for more permanent accommodation. Once the swarm settles within the fabric of a house or building, then successful removal is virtually impossible in practical terms, as it is likely to be impossible to locate the Queen. In such a case, my advice is to live with the bee colony wherever possible. Where this is not possible, unfortunately the only solution will be to get a commercial pest control firm in to deal.

Geoffrey Burroughs

Paul Rassam
👍

Mon 17 Aug 2015, 08:27

Thank you, Helen, that's most helpful.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Sun 16 Aug 2015, 21:14

try Oxfordshire beekeepers association OBKA - they hold a list of beekeepers available to collect a swarm - this is from their website:-

The Swarm Liaison Officer West Oxfordshire - Caroline Gray (01993 850716 or swarms-westoxfordshire@obka.org)

Paul Rassam
👍

Sun 16 Aug 2015, 19:17

Thank you both very much, I'll give him a call.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 16 Aug 2015, 18:10

I was about to say the same Paul as I believe he helped us a few years back.

Mike Williams
👍

Sun 16 Aug 2015, 18:07 (last edited on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 18:07)

You could try Geoff Burroughs at
Halcyon Honey Farm
Woodstock Road
Charlbury
OX7 3ET
01608 810260
burroughs871@btinternet.com

Paul Rassam
👍

Sun 16 Aug 2015, 17:30

Does anyone know the name of someone who might be able to remove or relocate a small colony of honey bees?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.