Wilderness

PJ Honey
👍

Wed 12 Aug 2015, 14:15 (last edited on Wed 12 Aug 2015, 14:19)

Thanks, John. All the penning in behind iron barriers of hapless people with rucksacks and local people having to plead in some cases to be let onto the platform was way over the top.

The train I got on (the 9:42) had plenty of standing room still left when it departed so the FGW staff behaving like they were security at a Wembley Arena concert was unnecessary.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 12 Aug 2015, 13:35

Sue, thinking about it now there probably were originally cones on Park St by the entrance at least, and they were moved and put on the verge side of the road, because there seemed to be far too many there when I walked past on Sunday morning when there were no cars parked.

John Stanley
👍

Wed 12 Aug 2015, 10:34

The Cotswold Line Promotion Group has taken up with First Great Western, the matter of the behaviour of extra stewards at the station (PJ Honey's post above). It seems that FGW was concerned about severe overcrowding on the normal service trains, which are always busy on Monday mornings. Those returning from the Festival were reluctant to wait for one of the 5 additional trains which had been provided by FGW for later in the morning/early afternoon.

Angela Gwatkin
👍

Wed 12 Aug 2015, 10:23

Having some locally recruited stewards might help with disseminating local knowledge, eg. Best pedestrian route to the station. brilliant weekend!

Sue Normand
👍

Tue 11 Aug 2015, 15:16

Have to agree that lighting on the roadways/drive and speed of vehicles on roads and drive were potentially dangerous. There could have been a path separated from the road within the park; and lighting of some kind essential in the north lodge drive.
On Park St itself cones might have stopped parking all along from the town end - which made that bit very hazzardous; and at Fiveways maybe consult with Wellington Cottages about not parking there for a few days, for a benefit/gift! (I don't live there!) Traffic has been horrendous, volume and size, negotiating the junction. However I enjoyed the event itself.

Alison Wright
👍

Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:25

I will pass all of this feedback on to the organisers.

Susie Burnett
👍

Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:17

It was more the speed that cars, local or otherwise, were travelling at in the stretch between the river bridge and the public road that was a concern - at this point there were no security guards in sight and no lighting for pedestrians, so no visible reason to slow down. The security chap we chatted to about this agreed it was a problem, and had himself been physically threatened when he pointed out that someone (an artist!) was driving too fast!

Alan Wilson
👍

Tue 11 Aug 2015, 08:38

Like Paul, I was grateful that the organisers were able to keep noise down after the official end of proceedings on Sunday, which made a big difference. I thought, though, that before that noise levels might actually have been worse than last year (which admittedly was much better than the year before). Does anyone who attended the event know whether the stages had been moved this year?

Edward Fenton
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 21:38

Opera North - with music from Messaien and Schnittke among others (Wilderness Stage, 8.15 pm)- were fantastic on Saturday night. Thanks, Wilderness.

russell robson
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 21:29

Cars speeding both on an off site have been reported to police, where appropriate. However, I think charlburys own cannot be excluded from such behaviour!

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 19:35

Conditions were barely tolerable at the Dyers Hill end. I do not find the BBC Proms improved by a thumping base from Wilderness. That they were that good is due to the efforts of the WODC environmental protection team. The WODC complaint line works, which is more than be said for the WIlderness complaint line.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 17:36 (last edited on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 17:38)

Staff in the info in tent in Cornbury Park didn't seem to know about the route for walking to the station, and were sending people the long way round by road through the main entrance near Finstock.

Not only was this really dangerous (and exhausting!) for the pedestrians, it also increased the dangers for those driving at night as the pedestrians were pretty well invisible, especially where there were strong floodlights.

The festival itself was really enjoyable, & much more family-friendly than last time I went. Those attending in the daytime seemed incredibly honest & also very friendly & polite, handing in lost cameras, i-phones & the like.

Unfortunately quite a few people camping were robbed in their tents at night -- some on two consecutive nights. There are apparently gangs that target festivals on a regular basis. The security staff were friendly & helpful, but often seemed to be in very short supply.

PJ Honey
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 16:26

It seemed quite quiet in Charlbury itself for most of the weekend (apart from in the Co-op), but the behaviour of the extra First Great Western staff at the station this morning was very officious and bouncer-like whilst they were shepherding people about.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 16:01

Yes all weekend was good but I am only worried about the Sunday night as its work on Mondays for a lot of people. Suzy great to see you had a good time it gets great reviews hope it continues.

Susie Burnett
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 15:56

Yes, absolutely agree about traffic coming in and out, both at night and in the day. We were walking with children and yet barely anyone slowed down and one car even stopped and swore at us when we flagged them to drive slower. Some lighting along the road out of Cornbury, between the house gates and the public road, would also be very helpful for pedestrians exiting the site at night. As locals making this journey on foot after dark, again with children, we felt very vulnerable.

Suzy M-H
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 15:35

It was brilliant! So many things to see, do and eat. It gets better each year. Only thing that needs looking at is slowing down traffic going in and out of cornbury; it's quite hairy at night. Also maps of the site at all entrances would be very helpful.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 15:28

The nose level all weekend was very good.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 10 Aug 2015, 14:52

After the other years when disturbance was cause thanks to the people involved in running the festival the noise levels on Sunday night was perfect I hope every one had a great time.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.