Church Bells

John Munro
👍

Fri 10 Jul 2015, 22:46

Nice to hear them back in step.....

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 21:33

When we were raisng money for the church restoration and reordering we had tours of the tower, one Saturday afternoon when there were also teas (and a flower festival ??). It was a very popular event.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 17:34

Yes they could
Of course we would need to organise them fromm a safety point of view. The access is fine but requires going up steep steps like a ladder but otherwise fine
Thanks for that Elaine

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 13:59

The tours could help raise funds ?

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 13:27

Just a bit more info
Apparently there are grants available for church clock repair and we are just starting to look into that
I would recommend a tour of the Tower to see the clock mechanism and the bells I am sure anyone would find this very interesting

Mike Williams
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 11:46

I too would love a look round Mike. Please can you put me on the list.

Many thanks

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 10:11

Interesting article in this weeks Witney Gazette about the Witney Blanket Hall clock being repaired after not working for many years.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 09:26

Cheers Mike would be interesting to look around sometime

Mark Purcell
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 09:04

Fascinating stuff - thank you.

Mike Summers
👍

Tue 7 Jul 2015, 12:22

I look after the clock, so let me bring you up to date. The recent trouble was caused by the east face (facing the town) ceasing up and stopping the clock. To keep it going we disconnected this face to run on the other three. There must still be some resistance since the are progressively slowe and are now about 5 minutes behind the clock. Putting them back in line is a major and ticklish business. The chimes however should be right. I make an effort once or twice a week to synchronize them with "real" time (we have a Rugby clock in the tower, but since I can only adjust in minute increments, it will never be totally acurate. I believe a public clock is expected to be within two minutes of the proper time - we do our best. What we are doing is exploring getting the drive to the hands and the hands themselves removed and repaired, but while we are at it, also need to clean and overhaul the clock mechanism itself. This will involve some scaffolding, perhaps a cherry picker and a lot of expert help. It will be a long job and pretty expensive, more details, when we have them, will no doubt become public when we start fundraising. The clock was installed by public subscription in 1885, and, although we are not sure, "may" have been last repaired in the early 60s, I know nothing apart from regular maintenance has be carried out since 1971. I anyone would like to see the clock I would be happy to take them up on a pre-arranged date - just contact me or the church. Hope this helps

Mark Purcell
👍

Sun 5 Jul 2015, 19:18 (last edited on Sun 5 Jul 2015, 19:19)

I'd be glad to, though first I'd like to know how much is needed in total, how much is already in the bag, and what the game plan is.

Anna Fairhurst
👍

Sun 5 Jul 2015, 16:31

I know the church is already gathering donations, and there are plans for a big appeal - it's going to cost a lot! If anyone reading this and would like to make a donation, I know the church would be glad to have it .

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sat 4 Jul 2015, 09:28

Am I right in thinking that in the old days it was the town councils (or their equivalent) that originally put the clocks into the church towers something to do with stagecoaches keeping time ? if so, does that mean that the current town council are responsible for the upkeep of the clocks ?
Would it not be good to have the clocks back in fully working order as it is one of the first things that people see of the town when coming off the train etc. Its always the first impressions that matter as that's what people generally remember when visiting a new place and a working clock is just as useful to the locals as it is to visitors of Charlbury and I bet that now we are in this "Walkers are welcome" thingy that a large percentage of the them will double check their watch with the church clock, I know that I always do.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2015, 23:07

I think there's going to be an appeal to mend the clock in due course.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2015, 22:49

Would be nice to have the clock working as well

John Munro
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2015, 20:34

Plus not helpful when you think you have 15 minutes to get to the station when in reality you only have 12 mins....

John Munro
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2015, 19:48

Anyone know why the church bells ring 3 minutes later than BST/GMT?
Very confusing when the hourly BBC news is finished before the church clock chimes...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.