Walk and Wonderful Lunch

Tony Graeme
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2015, 19:23

Before this gets too far out of hand, could I point out that no persons or animals have been banned from public footpaths. The discussion concerns the Cotswold Wardens' policy of not allowing dogs on their guided walks. This is a frequent topic between Wardens as well, and for the reasons summarised by Harriet and Geoff, the decision always comes down on the side of continuing policy.
Of course there is, as Tony Merry says no reason why 'Walkers are Welcome' should not take up Tim's suggestion of a 'dog owners walk' independently from the Wardens' programme.
This has in fact been tried elsewhere: a former Wardens District Chairman told of a such a walk arranged in Tysoe. The result? No dogs turned up!

russell robson
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2015, 16:24

There are some frightening people in Charlbury, could we ban them from footpaths?

Geoff Belcher
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2015, 13:07

when I was a warden one reason for no dogs was walkers would not keep dogs on lead, some chased sheep and cattle did not endear us to farmers/ landowners

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2015, 12:11

Good idea Tim we could certainly do that as part of our Walkers (and dogs) are Welcome programme

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sat 13 Jun 2015, 16:14

Just a thought but after reading this thread then maybe the wardens could offer walks for "walkers with dogs only" as an option ? that way dog owners won't feel any discrimination against them and their pets and then the walkers who are not keen on being with dogs know not to go on that days walk then everyone would be happy

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 13 Jun 2015, 15:27

I have twice had very frightening experience where cattle have attacked walking party where there were dogs

Emily Algar
👍

Sat 13 Jun 2015, 13:08

Thanks for the clarification Harriet. And no, this not a strange concept to me even though I have dogs myself.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sat 13 Jun 2015, 12:40

You can walk your dogs on any footpath you like Emily. The Cotswold wardens do not allow dogs on their walks because strange as it may seem to dog lovers there are actually people who are frightened of them and because we can't tell how many dogs are likely to turn up on a walk it is safer not to have any.

Emily Algar
👍

Sat 13 Jun 2015, 12:25

Can I have some clarity, are there actually some footpaths in and around Charlbury that you can't walk with your dog(s)?

Naomi Berger
👍

Fri 12 Jun 2015, 21:08

I've always wondered why no dogs. Now I know. Thanks.

Paul Butler
👍

Fri 12 Jun 2015, 20:46

I have a cat that is good on a lead and doesn't yap, can we come?

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 12 Jun 2015, 19:46

I'm afraid it has to be Michael. Because some people are scared of dogs, even on leads. If you have 5 dogs on a walk for someone who's scared of them that's not very pleasant. As a dog owner you may not realise this, but if your dog is large and bouncy even if it's quite friendly this can be traumatic for someone who is frightened of them. Likewise with small and yappy dogs. Also some dogs don't get on well with others, even if they are all on leads. So it's easier not to have the dogs.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Fri 12 Jun 2015, 19:15

Tony,
My dog and I would love to join you. But you've banned him - and all his species - from the public footpaths you're planning to use.

Incomprehensible - but do realise that if you want to ban him, you're banning us too. And you're hardly encouraging us to have much time for the organisation that bans him.

Is this really in the Cotswold Wardens' interest?

Tony H Merry
👍

Fri 12 Jun 2015, 17:47 (last edited on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 17:48)

Anyone fancy an easy stroll and very nice pub lunch tomorrow then join us on our Cotswold Voluntary Wardens walk to the Tite Inn Chadlington

Its just over 7.0 miles return or you could get someone to meet you at the Tite for one way only.

Menus are available at www.thetiteinn.co.uk/dining/
and of course there is a good selections of real ales, ciders and wine as well as soft drinks coffee etc.

If you are interested please come along to the Spendlove at 10.00 tomorrow 13th June

It will take about an hour and a half each way so could be back sometime after 3.00

Easy walking and the weather is forecast to be dry

So just come along or contact me for more information

Walk Leaders Tony Merry Harriet Baldwin and Peter Kenrick

Some interesting things on the way that we will talk about as well

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.