Superconnected Broadband comes to Charlbury!

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 15 Jul 2015, 10:39

I have just spoken with the IT guys. Due to the relatively low number of potential customers, but more importantly, topographical problems, they cannot proceed. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion and expressed an interest.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2015, 13:24 (last edited on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 06:25)

I have no idea I'm afraid Hannen! I was just saying, or maybe we have a good provider.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:24

Thanks for the input Hans!

Hans Eriksson
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2015, 11:46

I spent 22 years in telecoms... wisp is a useful technology if there is no fttc or superfast fibre, which we have now in Charlbury. It seems you get 8/1 Mbps with most of them whereas we have 76/20 with superfast. wisp appears considerably more expensive than fibre superfast. So Hannen, many thanks for taking the initiative, but I rule myself out.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:50

Thanks for all the support! Pearl, where is the mast please?

Peter Evans
👍

Thu 18 Jun 2015, 21:25

Just popping in from Stonesfield, a much smaller location, but with Zen Internet I am currently getting 60 Mb download and 20Mb upload at an installation cost of £65.94 to upgrade to Superfast Broadband. Monthly Unlimited Cost £30. (could get cheaper, but I love their customer service) Quite happy if someone wold give me £3000 for installation! However I don't know if I'm just lucky with my proximity to a BT Cabinet

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 18 Jun 2015, 18:38

We have always had excellent wireless internet access off Sturt Road.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 18 Jun 2015, 16:05

Well, I don't have much knowledge of these things but as far as I can tell you are spot on Frank. I've been told that a fibre (?) connection will be extended/provided to Charlbury. After that the "node" would be connected to a mast which would send "WISP" (wireless internet service protocol) to subscribers, subject to topographical features.
As I've said before this is not something which I have been approached about - it's not a hard sell. It's part of the Government initiative to extend super-connected broadband to rural areas. Each business which signs up will have installation costs of up to £3000 paid by the Government. After that they will have to pay a monthly subscription - yet to be calculated, but certainly more expensive than BT etc. In return they will get a reliable fast connection. So it's not for everyone.
I've been a lone crusader so far but am happy for anyone (with IT knowledge) to help me with this. In fact I would welcome it! At present it feels as though I am a one man unelected committee!
I should welcome some help/input from anyone who has the technical knowledge which I don't. I don't wish to offend but I don't need people who are mainly concerned about cost etc. So am I! This needs a cost/benefit analysis. There will be a public meeting if we get that far. That will give everyone the chance to ask questions about speed and cost.
Frank you are correct - Wurzel Broadband is also another company that provides this type of service.
If you want to get involved please email me here or at hannenbeith@me.com, or on my mobile at 07588 478 842.

Frank Payne
👍

Thu 18 Jun 2015, 11:32

I've been following this discussion with some interest as my area of research is fibre optic communications. The last post from Hannen has really puzzled me.I had assumed that what was being considered is a fibre to the home/business connection. The reference to masts and dead spots makes it sound much more like a wireless system of the sort offered by a number of companies in mainly rural situations where BT will not provide a high speed service. Rutland Telecom (owned now by Gigaclear) was a good example. With fibre to the cabinet already in place it should be possible to get a direct fibre to the home or business connection in Chalrbury.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 18 Jun 2015, 07:14

Further update. But first see: www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33164725?post_id=10153834733923275_10153962426323275#_=_
I accompanied the techies around central Charlbury yesterday. Whether we can go ahead or not is, frankly, hanging in the balance. Whilst there are a few sites where a mast could be erected (subject to the usual consents) there appear to be two major potential problems.
1 Trees. Many of the potential mast sites would have their signal degraded by up to 80% by the leaves.
2 Undulating land - which could result in "dead spots".
I'll report back here when I hear more.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 12 Jun 2015, 10:21

Update. We now have 14 expressions of interest. The techies have now mapped out the points of connection and I and them will be wandering around Charlbury within the next week (hopefully) to assess feasibility. Watch this space!

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 3 Jun 2015, 14:53

Good points Mike.
However, we are not all so lucky as to be able to get 38MB. This solution is for those who cannot access BTs higher FTTC speeds. In addition, the connection proposed is only shared among approximately 10 users. BT typically shares among 20, sometimes as high as 50. This can result in a significant reduction in speed. Also, as we are buying our connection from a professional supplier of bandwidth, there are no data usage caps. BT's FTTC service is capped quite low, and those streaming video can quickly come up against those caps.
Finally, I don't think BT offers businesses £3000 each for installation!

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 3 Jun 2015, 14:47

Ok Jim, I've noted the Trust's interest. Hannen.

Mike Summers
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2015, 20:34 (last edited on Tue 2 Jun 2015, 20:41)

I don't understand. The Charlbury exchange has fibre capacity and we have fibre to cabinet, which means if we opt for a fibre contract we can getup to 38MB download speeds. Even on normal tariff I am getting 17MB. With this you should have no trouble downloading HD movies in real time, and upload speeds also improve. What speed can this new superfast broadband deliver? What's the big selling point?
PS - I've just checked out the postcode checker and it says Fibre up to 76MB

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2015, 19:49

On behalf of the Thomas Gifford Trust, we would be interested in the provision of SF BB to the new Community Centre at the Spendlove Centre. Please keep us informed.
Cheers
Jim

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2015, 17:53

Thanks Hannen

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2015, 17:32

Update as of 2 June 2015. I have now sourced all the addresses - many thanks to all who helped with this. I have sent these to the techies and they will get back to me soon with a yes or no. Watch this space!

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 1 Jun 2015, 17:50 (last edited on Mon 1 Jun 2015, 18:41)

Right, we are moving forward! We now have expressions of interest from 11 businesses and 1 domestic user. The techies are happy to have a meeting but before that they need to scope the geographical area of the project. To do that they need to know the addresses of the businesses (where the broadband is required) and the domestic users. They can then put pins in a map and work out how the cables or whatever are going to interconnect. So, to save me emailing you all separately, please could you either give me those addresses via the email facility on this site, or direct to me at hannenbeith@me.com
I shall treat all addresses confidentially, and have assurance from the techies that they will do the same.
Obviously the sooner we can get this information to them the sooner they can start on the scoping. This will not commit you to anything.
Thanks,
Hannen.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 29 May 2015, 12:10

Thanks Clare. We need a few more, so please spread the word! Hannen.

Clare Carswell
👍

Fri 29 May 2015, 11:29

Thanks so much for this excellent research Hannen. I am interested in attending a meeting to learn more.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 28 May 2015, 17:08

Thanks Susie. Tony has already registered an interest. I think the cost for The Corner House might be worth it as (if I'm correct) there would be one wi-fi "node" supplying the broadband throughout the building. Also, if it's a Charity it would probably qualify for the Government installation grant of £3000.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 28 May 2015, 15:08

The Corner House would be interested in finding out about this, especially the costs involved.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 28 May 2015, 11:54

Correction - earlier in this thread I said that the techies might not be able to add subscribers later. Apparently they can, but it may be that those who get in first will get a better deal on the monthly sub.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 28 May 2015, 11:50

Ok - I met the techies at their offices in Oxford on Tuesday. They might be able to supply to 10 business/domestic sites, but more would spread the cost, so please try and get others interested.
They will have to carry out a feasibility survey first. (Sightlines, positioning of a mast etc.)
Cost - bit difficult to calculate at present, but likely to be more than "ordinary" high speed broadband. You get what you pay for, and once the wi-fi is in your business or home you would not notice a drop in speed if you have several users so a possible one for the Corner House and looking ahead, the Spendlove Centre. However, the good news is that it is likely to be about half the cost of the big boys (Virgin etc.)
There would be a Service Level Agreement to compensate for downtime, although the system is so robust that this is unlikely unless the cable company has a problem.
Initial contract likely to be for a fixed period - not sure if 1 or 2 years.
It seems to me that this is a runner for businesses with an inadequate current broadband service, and for some domestic users.
Please try and get more subscribers or give me ideas for getting more - so far I've only posted here.
The techies are happy to have a meeting with all interested parties once we have finalised numbers, and they have completed their survey. Meeting to be in Charlbury.
If you have any questions please either post them here or email them to me here.
Many thanks. Hannen.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 25 May 2015, 18:25

Thanks Maggie,
I have sent you an email via this site.
Hannen.

Maggie Watts
👍

Mon 25 May 2015, 17:55

I'm really interested and am eligible according to my postcode. Please could you put me on the list. Thanks in advance. Maggie

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 22 May 2015, 18:06

Update. Ok, so we are a little way short of the target number of business subscribers. I've had a word with the "techies" and they may be able to set something up for both businesses and domestic users. I'm discussing grant funding and monthly cost with them next week, so watch this space! In the meantime, if you have any friends/acquaintances who have businesses please ask them to contact me here. All I need at this stage are expressions of interest with absolutely no obligation or commitment at all.
This could be a great Charlbury initiative!
Thank you,
Hannen.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 21 May 2015, 08:40

Ok Elaine. Hannen.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 21:02

Please add me to the list Thanks

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 17:45

Ok Tony Morgan - I'll put you on the list.
Thank you,
Hannen.

Tony Morgan
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 17:24

I'd be interested. I operate through a Ltd service company registered at my howe address in Charlbury

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 17:17

Hello Tony,
Yes, registered charities, social enterprises, and sole traders are eligible if they satisfy the other criteria. (Set out on the website). As mentioned, I am simply gauging interest at present.
It's the installation that's free (if you qualify) - there will then be ISP charges for which there is no subsidy.
I currently have 5 expressions of interest. I've emailed the estate office at Cornbury Park but no reply so far.
If I can get enough interest I propose to have a brief informal meeting with all those who are interested, to which I would invite the "techies", as I am not qualified to give technical advice.
Would you like me to add you to my "wishlist"?
Hannen.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 20 May 2015, 11:26

Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems that as a registered Charity the Corner House and Memorial Hall committee would qualify - is that correct? If so then I would like to know more

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 18 May 2015, 18:03

Does anyone know any of the business owners in Cornbury Park? They'd be covered and there might be enough to make the scheme viable. I should make it clear that there's nothing in it for me financially (apart from possibly the £3000 grant). I am not selling, but raising awareness and coordinating.
Even if you are at this stage vaguely interested please "express an interest" as I don't think the outfit I know of would want to hook up single users further down the line (pun). Many thanks, Hannen.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 18 May 2015, 17:56

Ok Clare - you are on the list! Thank you, Hannen.

Clare Carswell
👍

Mon 18 May 2015, 16:16

I am interested Hannan. I increasingly need to Skype conference call for the business and it is a nightmare with present speeds. I have done a post code check and I am eligible so count me in !

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 18 May 2015, 10:01

Charlbury businesses are now able to enjoy the benefits of SB. There is an installation charge but this should be covered by the Government voucher - up to £3000 per business/site. To make it viable for the supplier we need 16/17 businesses to express interest.
You can check if you are eligible here:
https://www.connectionvouchers.co.uk/
If you'd like to join forces to implement this scheme in Charlbury please express your interest by emailing me here. Businesses only please, and no obligation!
Thanks, Hannen.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.