Actually........anyone interested in developing any sports?

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 9 Jul 2015, 09:57

No Peter haven't seen any Ranting from YOU

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 9 Jul 2015, 09:13

ps I hope you don't think I am 'ranting' on the Forum!

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 9 Jul 2015, 09:11

Leah, It is many years since I tried to teach folk dancing in Charlbury. Actually we used the hall in the Spendlove School, but I was unable to get enough people interested so it fizzled out. My original comment on Forum was meant for others not for myself. I can get all the folk dancing that I need from existing clubs and groups but I would like to see something happening locally to help keep an English tradition alive and provide enjoyment and exercise for Charlbury people. I would not have been doing this for the past 60+ years if I had not found it to be so rewarding

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 9 Jul 2015, 07:18

There is room to do Folk Dancing in the Memorial Hall Peter, thats where you used to run it. Thats where we did "Ranting" instead of on the Forum.

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 23:38

I used to dance with Charlbury Morris but at 82 I just cannot do it any more!! With English folk dancing you don't have to be an athlete.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 17:37

Peter - if you like dancing why dont you try Morris dancing
There are two sides in Charlbury and we are always looking for more members just let me know if you are interested - it quite simple to learn and not too hard or exhausting!

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 15:33

Thamk you, I await developments

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 8 Jul 2015, 12:36

Peter, I will of course add on your interest to our list of potential activities in the new centre. We are ruling nothing out!

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 25 Jun 2015, 09:37

What about Folk Dancing? It is great for exercise, good for making friends, suitable for all age groups (many of us are still dancing in our 80s), has wonderful music to dance to and gives the opportunity to go to festivals and dance weekends all over the country -- just to name a few of its benefits. Come to Stonesfield village hall every Wednesday at 8pm to give it a try. If enough interest a group could be started in Charlbury. More details, ring 810184. Peter

Jim Holah
👍

Mon 22 Jun 2015, 20:58

There's a snooker (or similar, apologies I'm not a player) in the Sports & Social Club that I know they want to retain. We wouldnt want to double up.

Jim Holah
👍

Mon 22 Jun 2015, 20:57

A climbing wall has been suggested by others and I will check on the progress with the idea. I know it added a lot of cost in construction to take the weight, purchase and management of safety belay equipment as well as training of competent instructors for something that may be a minority interest, plus I seem to recall there's another relatively locally. I'll get back to you though.

Jacob Johannsen
👍

Sun 21 Jun 2015, 17:26

I don't suppose there is room for a snooker table somewhere?

Diana Limburg
👍

Sat 20 Jun 2015, 10:10

I like Jenny's idea of a climbing wall a lot!

Jenny Chambers
👍

Sat 20 Jun 2015, 08:02

Has anyone raised the idea of having an indoor climbing wall? Or at least something to mimic bouldering, which would be low level and therefore presumably not subject to the same safety regs/need for ropes, harnesses etc. I'm not an expert in this area but would be willing to do some research if there seems to be interest. It occurs to me that provision for climbing could compliment the ball orientated sports already suggested.

Jim Holah
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2015, 20:31

Sorry Leah, didnt realise you were going that far back, way before the Thomas Gifford Trust ever had any interest in the site.

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 18 Jun 2015, 07:55 (last edited on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 09:12)

Try 50 years,the money was raised by the town and by parents, it was filled in after Spendlove School closed, it was used by the school but also by orgaisations, Margaret Merry gave swimming lessons for adults as well as children.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 17 Jun 2015, 20:31

Sorry Leah, this has never been in our plans for the new Community Centre, I'm not aware of any specific fundraising for a pool in the last 28 years either??

Jim

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 17 Jun 2015, 18:32

We have raised a lot of money in the past for a pool, just to see it closed.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 17 Jun 2015, 14:45

June update: I'm sure you've seen elsewhere on this site that we now have planning permission for the new centre. I am now working up a list of potential sports to discuss with the County Sports Partnership to generate their help in getting some of these off the ground. So far I have, Volleyball, Pickleball, Netball, Handball & Table Tennis as new activities that people may want to start. Are there any others you are interested in? (sadly we dont have room for squash courts or a pool!). Let me know Cheers Jim

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 5 May 2015, 11:28

Felicity & Peter, your interest noted, I'll be in touch soon as part of our consultation on usage thanks jim

Felicity Brooks
👍

Mon 4 May 2015, 19:48

I'd be very happy to help develop volleyball too. it's a great, inclusive game (with more registered players than any other in the world!) and you really only need a net and a volleyball or 2 to get started. I've played at national level ( a very long time ago) in women's teams and also in mixed recreational teams, and it's always fun, and the ultimate team sport that can be played by almost anyone at any level. Would be great for the children and young people of our town as well as adults.

russell robson
👍

Mon 4 May 2015, 16:43

My daughter after seeking it at the Olympics

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 4 May 2015, 12:02

I am interested in Christine's suggestion of Pickleball which came to my attention recently and appears to be growing in popularity fast. It appeals to a wide range of ages and abilities and there is a good instructional video clip about it at www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgljuzMdSh0

Jim Holah
👍

Sat 2 May 2015, 21:28 (last edited on Sun 3 May 2015, 17:02)

Russell, handballs definitely on the wishlist & I'm discussing help from the National Governing Body so watch this space.....anyone else you know interested in this? ?

Jim Holah
👍

Sat 2 May 2015, 21:26

Tim, as an avid follower of the plans, I'm sure you realise that squash courts aren't & never have been part of the plans so I'm afraid you'll have to continue to travel.

Jim Holah
👍

Sat 2 May 2015, 21:24

Steven, I'm sure we can organise something, especially if you're willing to help get it off the ground. I'll be in touch with some more detail ASAP cheers jim

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 1 May 2015, 09:24

can I ask is there going to be any provision for Squash players or are we going have to continue to go out of town to play ?

russell robson
👍

Fri 1 May 2015, 08:12

Hi Jim,

Handball would be great and I played many years ago. The only problem is the unusual dimension of the court which doesn't make very compatible with other sports and maximising the floor area

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2015, 21:18

Jim, I'd be interested in knowing if there's any demand for volleyball here. I've played for over 20 years and would be happy to talk to anyone who might want to play, at whatever level or ability. It's a very easy game to pick up, is a lot of fun, and can be played by men or women, boys or girls, often in mixed teams.

I'm attached to Oxford Volleyball Club (http://www.oxfordvolleyball.co.uk/) although I don't play at the moment. They're doing really well in local and national leagues and have previously said they'd be happy to look at providing some qualified coaches to take some sessions and help get things started in Charlbury. Several of their coaches are qualified to coach children too, which might be useful. Volleyball England and the local councils might have something going on to promote the sport too, which might involve some grant money for equipment.

In terms of equipment, it takes line markings, net and posts, and the post mountings (a bit like for badminton posts) ideally need to be set into the floor at the construction stage, none of which is expensive. Then a few volleyballs and maybe a table-top scoreboard and that's it.

Jim Holah
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2015, 17:54

Christine, we are certainly looking at what equipment we need to obtain through grant funding we are applying for, which is partly why I posted here. Part of our business planning is to offer access to sports that arent occurring elsewhere & table tennis is on our list. We are keen to respond to peoples needs and wishes for better sporting opportunities.

I'll check out Pickleball, I've not heard of that before. Jim

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2015, 14:16

Stephen, I do already know that fabulous new room at the back of the Memorial Hall. But I was imagining that you would not wish to clutter it up with a table-tennis table! I was also supposing that the new Community Centre might have funds for such things.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2015, 10:37

Without wishing to steal the proposed Community Centre thunder the new Green Room at the back of the Memorial Hall is a perfect size and location for table tennis. Do drop in and see what is on offer - the Hall is generally open during the day, or arrange a visit through the caretaker on 810879.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 21:16

It would be great if there were a table tennis table. You might also investigate whether there is enough interest in Pickleball which is offered at both the Leisure Centres in Witney and also in Kidlington.

Yes, I know it is a stupid name, but it seems very popular with older residents, and it has taken the Kidlington team to Amsterdam. It might also receive support from the Oxfordshire Sports Partnership's Go Active team.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 20:34

As well as Netball, the Thomas Gifford Trust is interested to hear from anyone who has ideas for sports that can be accommodated in our new Community Centre sports hall. What about Basketball, indoor hockey, handball? What about youth & childrens activities or other activities that need a large hall to play it in?
Let me know if there's anything you want to pursue.

Jim

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.