First Great Western advance fares available!

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 20 Jul 2015, 21:15

One of the ways that competitive markets work is to use pricing mechanisms that make it difficult for customers to make useful comparisons. See the latest report on supermarket 'special offers'.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 19:53

Thanks, I test-tried it for next Wednesday, and I could certainly have had much more flexibility for the same price than I did yesterday.. Useful to know....But I still think we should keep fighting!

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 15:45

Found the Link

MoneySavingExpert.com's new TicketySplit app, which enables users to see if they can get cheaper rail fares by splitting their journey into different tickets, has hit the top 10 in Apple's App Store chart for free downloads in its first week.

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 15:34

i think there is a web site that can find the best fare by splitting down the journey, but you may end up with a stack of tickets ! i can't recall the name.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 14:27

Thank you, Angus, a good idea, But my point is, as emphasised by Liz, that buying a ticket should NOT be so complicated. How can any of us spend time working out the different combinations. As Liz says, there is simply no logic to the pricing of rail fares. I wonder if the Rail Companies themselves even have a list of the total number of possible variations.

Angus B
👍

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 09:40 (last edited on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 09:47)

Try splitting your journey at Reading (ie buying a ticket from Charlbury to Reading and another from Reading to Paddington); it works out cheaper, I think, at certain times of the day. If, for example, you leave by the 09.42 from Charlbury and return on the 17.22 from Paddington it'll cost you £30.50 instead of £42, according to National Rail Enquiries.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 08:58

It isn't just fares to London that are ridiculously expensive. A couple of weeks ago, I had to go to Newcastle to attend a funeral. The advance fare via Birmingham, even with my railcard, was nearly £200 return (for second class - goodness only knows what first class must cost) I ended up going into London and taking the train from King's Cross, which cost less than £89 in total, and that was using the really expensive 6.30am train. There is absolutely no logic to the way that train fares are priced.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Wed 15 Jul 2015, 23:14

I know I have come late to the subject, but I have not had to travel by train since early May, and, like everyone else was shocked by the increase and confusion I found today when trying to get a day return to London. I have also read the very helpful threads and websites that people have written with advice, BUT, my first question is: Do you need a degree in Mathematics or Logistics to be able to work out the different alternatives. Buying a ticket should, surely, be a simple matter, and not a case for detailed and involved discussion with the not very helpful ticket officer at Charlbury station this morning. Should we not all be joining the Cotswold Line Promotion Group, and attending the AGM (I think usually in May) to mount a concerted plan of opposition to the horrific increases and confusing timetable. Buying a ticket in advance is all very well when leaving from Charlbury - but trying to make sure one doesn't miss the selected return "flight" at Paddington adds further stress as one never knows how long any of the tube journeys are going to take. Previously one was happy to pay a little extra for the security of knowing if you missed your train, you could always get the next one. Not with an Advanced Fare you can't. Leaving at 10.08 this morning and returning at 4.22 (and running to get the connection at Oxford) gave one little more than 4 hours in London unless I paid over £40. Could we get 'our MP' actually to come and talk to us and learn of our frustrations - or shall those of us who are able ust use our cars and clutter up London, or else eschew Charlbury station and use Water Eaton or the London Tube.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2015, 18:26

I have now received a reply from FGW about the fact that the ticket machine at Charlbury station does not show the cheapest flexible rail fare to London on the first (home) screen, as well as about the difficulty of seeing the screen in bright sunlight.

The response is that my concerns will be put forward to Senior Management, but that basically FGW expects that those buying tickets from the machine will already be familiar "with the specific ticket(s) they want, and how they're to be used".

Given this response, I am not expecting the ticket machine to be changed in a hurry. So I hope that people do, indeed, know that the cheapest flexible Super Off-Peak return fares to London are hidden away on a screen that can only be accessed by typing LON.

Since one can upgrade on the train for an outward journey, I don't see why people travelling at weekends, and also after 10 a.m. on weekdays, should not opt for Super Off-Peak & upgrade on the outward journey to Off-Peak if that's what the guard or ticket inspector advises.

nigel rosser
👍

Fri 29 May 2015, 10:55

Why would closing the station be good?

nigel rosser
👍

Fri 29 May 2015, 10:55 (last edited on Fri 29 May 2015, 12:40)

Why would closing the station be good?

russell robson
👍

Thu 28 May 2015, 18:40

Hey, look on the bright side it will solve the perceived parking problems in town. Eventually numbers might even decrease to a level where they can close the station. That would be good.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 28 May 2015, 11:06

I have followed Angus B's advice & emailed FGW about this, & other, problems with the ticket machine. But really it should not be necessary to ask a rail company to display their cheapest fares, and not hide them away in the small print on a screen -- especially one that is often invisible in the sun!

Angus B
👍

Wed 27 May 2015, 19:10

I suggest you e mail Customer Services at FGW about the ticket machine; I'm going to and have always found them extremely helpful.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 27 May 2015, 09:31 (last edited on Wed 27 May 2015, 10:58)

Under the new regime, the ticket machine at Charlbury station is very confusing for those looking for the cheapest flexible return ticket to London. Day returns no longer exist to London, and the cheapest super off-peak returns and super off-peak travel cards to London are not offered as options on the home screen.

What a cheek! There is plenty of space for FGW to have offered this as an option on the front screen, but they have decided not to do so.

To find these fares you have to type in your destination as LON (not PAD) & access the London screen which shows the full range of London Fares, although nothing at all about the times when they are valid. On questions of the validity of times for super off-peak return tickets the FGW website & literature is extremely unhelpful.

As I understand it, if you intending to return on the same day, Super Off-Peak is available outwards weekdays between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., and cannot be used between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. on the return journey. Weekend validity is all day, and traveling on 2 different days also widens the choices. I find the Virgin East Coast Rail Site gives the clearest account of when these tickets are valid as you can use it to search for the cheapest return tickets between Charlbury and London. Here's the link: tickets.virgintrainseastcoast.com/ec/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

John Bell
👍

Tue 26 May 2015, 18:05

The increases are actually due to the removal of a subsidy from ATOC to First Great Western. There is no likelihood of any change to the new fare structure. Commercially FGW are not in a position to offer the old fares without the subsidy.

Shelagh Scott
👍

Thu 21 May 2015, 16:34

I travelled on the 1722 from Paddington on Monday 18th, using the return portion of a ticket purchased under the old fare system. I asked the train manager why I will now have to pay 90% more to use this train, when there were at least 25 empty seats in carriage A. He said that passengers on the Cotswold Line have been subsidised by others for too long, and it was time we started to pay a realistic fare! Bicester here I come.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 21 May 2015, 09:14

Travelled under the 'new regime' to London yesterday on the 09:40 (off peak outward) having to return after 17:00 (seeing a matinee) and even with a rail discount card it cost £41.20 - an Anytime return. If I went on the Chiltern Line from Bicester, the off-peak time is earlier and there is no restriction on the return - for £18.15 with many more trains. Allowing for the travel back and forth to Bicester the door to door journey time is similar and the parking charges are reasonable - no wonder the Charlbury train car park has spaces this week. From 2016, the Chiltern line will run into Oxford station. Wake up FGW before you loose customers for good!

William Crossley
👍

Sat 2 May 2015, 12:08

Christine, you will be able to catch London trains at Water Eaton/Oxford Parkway station from October 26 this year. Chiltern announced the date on Thursday.

www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/chiltern-railways-oxford-parkway-london-launch-date-announced

The 2016 date applies to when Chiltern's trains will be able to serve Oxford station, because they need to build a new platform and make track and signalling alterations there.

Brian Murray
👍

Fri 1 May 2015, 15:17

On Wednesday 29th, I bought the following for a weekday in June ; two x 08.31 Cby to Pad, returning same day on 17.22., Reserved seats & Senior Railcard - TOTAL £47.10 compared with the £44 we paid last week.

I also tried to buy same thing for a date in late July and the total quoted was around £95/£100 but perhaps the advanced purchase tickets for that date hadn't been loaded in to the system.

Angus B
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2015, 13:34 (last edited on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 14:32)

Thank you, Edward. It's interesting that you are unable to get a Railcard discount because, later in my email from FGW I was quoted a price which "includes your Creaky (ie Senior) Railcard discount". I always use the internet for buying my tickets in advance; although it sometimes frustrating I find I can usually get what I want more quickly than by telephone. Also I get Nectar points!

Perhaps I should add that I don't necessarily share the opinions promulgated by FGW about their reasons for the increases!

Edward Fenton
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2015, 13:09

Hello Angus - it's good that you have been in touch with First Great Western about the steep price rises, but I think it's disingenuous of them to claim that they are putting up prices in response to requests from customers.

I was interested to know more about the availability of cheaper tickets, so I phoned up yesterday and asked about tickets for the day after the price rises, i.e. 18 May. I was told that there are various restrictions. First, one can't get return tickets ?" you have to buy two singles. You need to specify times, and if for any reason you can't get the train you were hoping to catch, there are no refunds. I was also told that the cheap tickets are very limited in number - and there are no railcard discounts.

For off-peak travel on 18 May, I was told that I could get a special-offer ticket from Charlbury to Paddington for £12.50, and one for the return journey for the same price, making a total of £25. This compares with £27.05 for an off-peak return using my Network card, so booking the special-offer tickets would save me £2.05. But that's still almost 25% higher than current prices.

Also, when I asked to be put through to ticket sales, I was left hanging on the phone for 20 minutes. Later I tried again and still couldn't get through. Finally I just gave up.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 21:49 (last edited on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 21:52)

I am sure I am not alone in planning to use Water Eaton when I think I might like to say late in London, & perhaps also at other times. Although I do drive & park there when I'm going into Oxford, it is possible to get to Water Eaton by bus during the day, changing at Woodstock. I'm sure the service will improve once Oxford Parkway is open. Even a taxi back will be cheaper than a hotel in London.

For those with walking difficulties, it is much easier to get to Water Eaton than to Charlbury station, since there is usually no parking at our station & also no buses during the day. There are a lot of retired people in Charlbury who use the trains, and who are likely to come to the same conclusion.

For me, Marylebone is also a more convenient station than Paddington, & Chiltern's mobile phone tickets are also really useful. Unfortunately, Chiltern have recently announced that the service from Oxford to Marylebone will not run until 2016, but really I can't wait!

Michael Flanagan
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 14:11

I can't see why people think the Chiltern or bus options constitute real alternatives.

Both require either a car to be kept in an Oxford car park all day, or a kind Charlburian to make an hour-long round trip both to take and collect the traveller.

If your household has got more cars than it needs, or members with time on their hands, fine. Few Charlbury households I know fall into either category.

Infuriating though these price rises are, most of us have little option but to grin and bear them.

I see our MP's election leaflet boasts how he's improved our trains. Some of us might wonder why such wholly disproprtionate rises on fares from Charlbury didn't happen on his predecessors' watch.

Were Douglas Hurd and Shaun Woodward just better lobbyists for us? Or is this our MP's way of telling us he won't fight for a part of his constituency where he doesn't command an automatic majority?

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2015, 08:46 (last edited on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 15:49)

Last week I was looking for these FGW £8 Advance Single online tickets and was able to spot a good selection for the end of May. They are for off-peak trains, between Oxford and Paddington.

Megabus.com, which sell £1 or £5 single tickets, using the excellent frequent Oxford Tube. So that's Oxford to London, and back, for £2! This Oxford Tube service runs every 15 minutes, from numerous pick-up spots located around Oxford, including the newly extended Thornton Park and Ride, making it a very useful alternative to those not tied to commuter trains, and those with bus passes to get them from Charlbury to Oxford for free.

Angus B
👍

Tue 28 Apr 2015, 19:18

Part of the response from FGW to my email:

"For some time customers have asked us to offer 'Advance Purchase' discounted fares on our North Cotswolds route. Quite rightly they felt that they were disadvantaged because these very low price tickets were not available to them. So, from 17 May, we will be introducing Advance Purchase Fares for stations between Hereford and Hanborough to/from/via London and the South East.

"As customers on this route did not have access to the full range of tickets, we have always allowed off peak tickets to be used at peak time to compensate for the lack of very low price tickets. We cannot justify continuing the concession now that Advance tickets will be available, as it would be unfair to customers on other routes, especially as trains like the 17.22, 17.52 and 18.22 are very heavily loaded, and the new Advance tickets are available at much lower cost.

"Alongside the introduction of these fares we have made some changes to the walk-up pricing structure, and time restrictions associated with the route. These amendments bring the North Cotswolds route broadly in line with the cost to travel on other First Great Western High Speed lines thereby delivering a more consistent pricing structure."

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 13:50

This programme on BBC2 on Wednesday, "The Trouble with our Trains", may be worth a watch:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05sz83j

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 09:40 (last edited on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 18:09)

Roll on the day this autumn when Chiltern Railways run trains to Marylebone from the Water Eaton park and ride. Cheap advance booking, plus return trains till late. There should be less crowding on Cotswold Line trains too, as fewer people will use them. Fewer parking problems here too.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 27 Apr 2015, 08:51

It's now been picked up by the Mail (online at least) and Metro too.

nigel rosser
👍

Sun 26 Apr 2015, 16:44

Sunday Times, Page 11, mentions our MP's order for an "Urgent Review," of the situation. But don't hold your breath....

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:59

Angus - the irony is that the overcrowding is not (particularly) on the peak-hour evening trains, but on a 'shoulder-peak' train, the 15.52 from Paddington. When these restrictions come into force, the 15.52 will become the last through train on which an Off-Peak ticket is still valid... and will therefore be even more busy. You couldn't make it up.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 19:49

How about putting some more carriages on the trains, its just an excuse to hike up prices. The sooner there is competition via Bicester to London the better!!

nigel rosser
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 13:45

The idea that Great Western are nearly doubling their prices because they have listened to passenger complaints about overcrowding is rather sweet.

Angus B
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 12:38 (last edited on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 12:45)

Many people have, on this website in the past, been critical of the overcrowding on rush-hour trains between Paddington and Charlbury. Now that FGW have decided to do something about it, by removing the off-peak reduction facility from peak-time trains, I wonder if it's the same people still complaining!

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:51

This is to add to Richard's most helpful new page about cheap fares to London.

One of the puzzles about the new system is that Super Off-Peak fares seem to be no longer valid returning from London anytime in the afternoon between 14.21 and 19.22. This is a pain in the neck if you are travelling down to Gatwick or Eurostar and don't know what time you will get through customs on your return. There are similar problems for Heathrow, but Richard has dealt with these. Thank you Richard!

Those with Eurostar tickets can now use Loco2com to book an anytime open return journey to St Pancras International (CIV) (from £47, £31 return with a railcard). This option does not appear with the other rail search sites & is particularly good as it works with trains before 8.30 as well. But you need the select the CIV bit to get the flexibility. These fares can also be booked at Charlbury station, but you need a Eurostar ticket to qualify & they do not work if you are intending to stay overnight in London in advance of your train. The Man in Seat 61 website also gives other suggestions for getting to Europe by rail from outside London: www.seat61.com/UKconnections.htm#London%20International%20CIV

For Gatwick it is worth noting that selecting the option to return via London also opens up flexible return times through London during peak hours. The cheapest seems to be £46.60 return or £30.75 with a railcard. Missing out London & changing at Reading reduces the fares further.

nigel rosser
👍

Sat 25 Apr 2015, 01:21

Deep cynicism, I'd say Mark. Their attempts to blame the Department of Transport for all this are very thin.

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 19:38

So, we are encouraged to use public transport . This action does the opposite. One would assume that this is either an error, or just ripping off their customers .

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 15:52

Richard's point about those who work in London part-time being hard hit by these increases is very true. Annual above inflation increases are annoying but sudden 90% increases are shocking and could make the commute unviable for some people.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 13:06

You've forgotten about buying a carnet if going to Oxford. This is cheaper if you dont go on a regular basis, and can be use on peak

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 11:22

Absolutely.

With my hat on as public transport representative for the Town Council, I've lodged a complaint with FGW which points out:

• The 18.22 restriction is particularly disproportionate as it prevents Off-Peak fares being used for a 19.41 arrival - whereas Swindon passengers can use Off-Peak tickets to arrive home at 19.39, and Oxford passengers at 19.45;
  • The increase will particularly hit flexible and part-time workers, who will now need to pay £62.40 per day compared to the £26.14 equivalent paid by an annual season-ticket holder;
  • The trains either side of the new peak are already very busy (particularly the 15.52) and this is likely to lead to severe overcrowding.

I've cc:ed it to the candidates for the Witney constituency.

nigel rosser
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 11:03

I have spoken to our MP's office about this. They claim he has written to Mark Hopwood, the Chief Exec of First Great Western, seeking an "urgent review," of these rises. TFGW appear to be blaming the Department of Transport for the increased fares. All rather galling after a week in which FGW/Network Rail have plumbed the depths of transportational ineptitude

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 10:44

I've added a new page with advice on getting cheap train tickets from Charlbury: www.charlbury.info/rail-fares .

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2015, 22:03

There is an article in today's Guardian regarding these price rises (and it specifically references Charlbury station):

www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/21/rail-fare-rise-cotswolds-uk-david-cameron-pledge-freeze-prices

Robin Taylor
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2015, 19:32

The cause of the massive increase is that if you want to travel home from London on a rush hour train, you will now have to pay the full fare instead of the saver return. The reason, I assume, is that the trains are crowded and GWR want to discourage holders of cheaper tickets from using them. I hadn't realised that saver fares were allowed on them anyway. They didn't used to be years ago when I travelled by train, which was why I switched to using the Oxford Tube and the X90 instead.

Naomi Berger
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2015, 18:54

Is there a reason for such a massive increase?

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2015, 09:05 (last edited on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 09:06)

The new advance tickets are poor compensation for the huge rail rises hidden in the FGW small print for journeys to and from London after 17 May. Thanks to Richard for spotting the 90% rise on many journeys.

For those wondering what the latest is that they can return from London prior to 19.22 on an off-peak return after 17/5, it's worth noting that leaving London at 16.22 and changing at Oxford will still be valid -- but not on the Super Off-Peak Return option. Cheap day returns to London seem to have been discontinued.

I think FGW will now definitely be losing passengers to Chiltern once Water Eaton opens. That will have the advantage of late night trains back from London, easy parking & probably also cheaper advance fares. The cheapest advance fare to Banbury is currently £6.

Sue Normand
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 22:20

These particular tickets are advance buying for London - its an extension of the choices from Oxford which already has advance ticket purchasing. There are limited tickets at the lowest prices however and they are only singles so you would need to check if they really help for a day trip. So no good for Combe, but I haven't checked.... and definitely still worth looking at the split price options. The cheapest return through advance is £18 - £8 one way and £10 the other, and only limited train choices.

John Dora
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 19:18

This site helps you find good deals by splitting fares https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 19:16

And yet in the news section other tickets to go up by 90%. Will rapidly result in me heading off to the chiltern line from Bicester if that goes through!

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 18:05

Probably not much of a bargain as single fares are usually almost as much as a return!! Better looking at where the fare stage breaks are and buying multiple returns for part of the journey. I have saved huge amounts in the past by doing this.

brian
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 06:38

I was thinking of going to Combe - is that part of the deal?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 21:16

Where are these tickets from and to, Sue?

Sue Normand
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 21:00

You can book advance single fares from now starting 17th May, and from £8!! Very limited return schedule, but staying overnight or more could be much better option/prices. See their website.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.