Strange little theft from my allotment

Ian Taylor
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:32

lightgreenfingered?

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2015, 20:17

Very strange. Maybe some lightfingered person is making a garden...

Jean Andrews
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 19:35

Hi Meraud. Just to say that we are developing the gardens around Charlbury Baptist Church and I had a polyanthus stolen. Just one - all very odd. Fortunately, there are plenty of others but it does seem strange. I can see the point of rhubarb, but a single polyanthus?

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 15:32

Also very kind, Lesley - but I have seeds :) This one was a small division and I'd been nurturing it! I just hope nothing similar happens again. Considering putting a sign on the allotment to explain The Plan.

Lesley Algar
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:26

I have Ruby Red rhubarb seeds if you would like some. It is a very old variety?

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 17:46

That's really kind of you, thanks - but we've got enough for the moment, and this little one wasn't mature enough for harvesting. I'm trying to plan ahead for exponential boy-appetite growth! I also thought people ought to know it happened. Very obvious and sad little hole! I've let Hilda know too.
Mx

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 16:59

So sorry to hear this has happened Meraud. I've got more than I can eat if you'd like some fresh and once it's died back I'll happily give you a chunk of the rootstock of my very vigorous clump!

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2015, 14:40

I'm hoping that posting this here is pointless because it's not a Charlbury person who did it - but just so others can keep their eyes peeled....

Somebody dug up and stole a small but established rhubarb plant from my allotment. This is not helpful! My plot (plot I) is not neat, and is weedy because the plants I'm concentrating on are perennials, with patches for wildlife, and I'm slowly building up a waist-high version of this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_gardening (and I have two young children and other things to do). It *is* in use: I know every plant I have planted in it because I have grown most of them from cuttings and seeds.

It has taken a number of years to get them big enough to plant out; after all that time it is very dispiriting to have things stolen.

So please don't!

Thank you.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.