Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 19 Mar 2015, 18:10

(Posts moved from the main board)

Geoff Belcher
👍

Thu 19 Mar 2015, 17:50

If scooters have right to use roads, then I believe they would also have to obey the road law ie:-lights reflectors etc if they want to use the road

russell robson
👍

Thu 19 Mar 2015, 12:02

I believe a scooter has legitimate rights to use the road, as have cycle users. They, as do cyclist, don't have to keep off roads when they are busy with cars.

However a scheme of traffic calming, shared space and cycle lines in Charlbury might gain popular support. However I doubt it!

I have also seen this website designer cycling furiously on a number of occasion and beleive that he should be put in stocks on the playing close. These could also be used for all the other delinquents, illegal parkers and housing developers destroying Charlbury.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:50

The Royal Parks have their own bylaws. Elsewhere, the posted sign limit does not apply to bicycles, but the wonderful offence of "riding furiously" may be used: www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/ .

But I would reiterate that cycling issues should be kept out of this thread, as posted below. Thank you.

Alan Wilson
👍

Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:36

Angus, there was a story in the national press only a week or two back about a cyclist who was done for speeding in Richmond Park (going about 40 mph - downhill with the wind behind him - in a 20 mph limit, I think). There was no suggestion then that speed limits didn't apply to bicycles.

James Styring
👍

Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:29

I have a speed gun.* If anyone wants to borrow it to check actual vehicle speeds, message me. I don't know if it would detect speeding scooters or even bicycles, but it does work on cars, buses and trucks.

• Technically it isn't mine, it belonged to the "Twenty's Plenty" campaign which succeeded in getting 20mph limits placed on most of Oxford's streets a few years ago.

Angus B
👍

Wed 18 Mar 2015, 23:25 (last edited on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 23:26)

I believe that speed limits apply only to mechanically propelled vehicles, but that does not, of course, excuse dangerous cycling or scooting.

www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/jul/25/can-cyclists-be-fined-for-speeding

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.