Buying Topsoil in Bulk -- suggestions?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 28 Feb 2015, 22:42

Applegarth garden centre at Chippy do (cubic metre? tonne?) bags of several variations on the theme of compost and topsoil. It might be worth having a look. Maybe it would make sense to mix compost and topsoil, in view of what has been said below? But I'm no expert.

Simon Walker
👍

Sat 28 Feb 2015, 21:32

Bear in mind too that there's a difference between real topsoil and 'topsoil' that has been made up from recycled soil-making material that may well have come from other peoples' skips. That's not to say that it's not OK, but it's not the real thing. We sourced a couple of trailer-loads of this from Hickmans, and it's been fine for flowerbeds.

Matt Harrington
👍

Sat 28 Feb 2015, 20:09

Hi Kat - I recentlty bought a tonne of topsoil from AWBS Yarnton - I think I paid £67 delivered - appears to be excellent quality - also bought 2 tonnes about 6 months ago that was also good stuff - it seems to be competitively priced for what you get - you can call them on 01865 842574

Jenny Chambers
👍

Fri 27 Feb 2015, 17:32

This thread could almost support a website of its own!
I've been buying bulk topsoil, on and off, from various suppliers in this area for 15 years. And yet, I don't feel that I've found a source of reliably good, reasonably weed seed free soil. By its nature, each batch will be different and it is worth going to look at, and get hands into, anything you are thinking of buying. As most people will only want to do a topsoil job once (and it's a big pain to have to remove a duff load) thorough research and prep are worth doing. It isn't just about price. You'll need to check you are going to get topsoil, not subsoil. Check out the suppliers' storage site for weeds. If you can't be sure you are not going to be bringing in lots of weed seed (i.e. if it's winter when you buy) it's worth leaving the new area unplanted for a season to see what comes up. It's much easier to tackle perennial and annual weeds if you are not having to tiptoe around new plants/veg beds.
I could go on....!

Charlie Peacock
👍

Fri 27 Feb 2015, 15:55

Depending on how deep your pond is, you might consider filling it with rubble or "lesser grade" soil and then top it with suitable topsoil for you raised beds. Would be cheaper!

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:46

Hi Kat, I was about to do some comparisons in next month or so... filling in an unwanted pond, and starting some raised beds. Wondering if a few people buy together it may save transport costs?

Kat Patrick
👍

Fri 27 Feb 2015, 12:41

Has anyone recently done a comparison shop of suppliers of tonne bags of topsoil? I was hoping to avoid re-inventing the wheel if I didn't need to.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.