Twit - Twoo

Catherine Kimmance
👍

Mon 1 Dec 2014, 08:45

Lovely sound and very audible at the top of NIne Acres Close. I thought they must be very close by.

Rhona Walker
👍

Fri 28 Nov 2014, 17:52

Regularly hear owls in the tall trees in Lee Place. They swooped down onto a branch a few feet from me when I was walking along Hixet Wood the other night but it was too dark to see where they were actually sitting.

Brian Murray
👍

Fri 28 Nov 2014, 06:48

Charlie, when I heard them at the Spendlove car park, as in my previous posting, it was around 6.00 p.m., so it doesn't have to be a late night venture with your boys.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 17:45

I hear them at Fiveways. Lovely sound.

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 17:18

I heard it in the churchyard too

Maureen Sparling
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 16:28

As I walked through the churchyard last night I could hear the sound echoing round the tower then suddenly it came from directly above me in the Yew Tree... slightly eery there but I do love the sound of the owls!

charlie clews
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 14:20

Well if anyone locates a roost please let me know, our boys are fascinated so we would love to try and spot them.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 14:00

I am sure they can't be the same ones but there are definitely a couple around us at the top of Ticknell Piece/ Ditchley Road. Lying in bed at night I can't help but feel very fortunate to be lulled to sleep by their soporific hooting - thankfully not Screech Owls!

glena chadwick
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:50 (last edited on Sun 30 Nov 2014, 23:03)

Hear them v. clearly from my garden (Enstone Road) 11ish.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2014, 09:56 (last edited on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:10)

Often distantly audible on The Green, and once close by. Around 11pm so I don't feel like going exploring! I get the impression they move round a lot, but I wonder they roost.

Mark Purcell
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2014, 23:57

Yes, agreed: loud and clear at our end of the street. Excellent.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2014, 23:04

I can hear them very clearly from inside the house here (Market Street near the Memorial Hall). A lovely sound.

Brian Murray
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2014, 23:00

Although we hear them at a distance in Dancers Hill, I think they may well be in the tall trees between Spendlove car park and Gerry & Jo's house. Twice earlier in the week we've been in the car park and heard them so clearly. Wonderful sound!

Diana Limburg
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2014, 21:21

Here too (Sandford Park) been hearing them very well for months now. A few months or so ago we saw a couple in our conker tree, when they were making very eery screechings noises, which helped confirm that they were tawnies indeed (search YouTube for screeching owl and you'll soon get the 'picture').

Megan Bell
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2014, 21:12

We hear them too (Hixet Wood) and a more distant one which must be the Owl of Dyer's Hill then. So lovely to hear them. Not sure what kind they are but am assuming they're not the mighty Eagle Owls we used to get on our roof in South Africa!

charlie clews
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2014, 20:06

Hope others are enjoying the Owls who've taken up residence near Dyers Hill. We presume they are Tawny Owls but any info on where they actually are and if they are visible at all would be welcomed.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.