Station car park

Elaine Newbold
👍

Sun 30 Nov 2014, 15:45

I had to laugh at the new sign at the station when the car park is full alternative parking 19 miles away at Oxford !

LINDA HILSDON
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:39

only Hackney Carriages are licenced to pick up without a prior booking. Private Hire drivers would lose their licence if they waited to pick up customers without such a booking.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2014, 09:19

If there is the demand for taxis, you'd think one or two of the local taxi drivers would be meeting evening trains anyway.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 21 Nov 2014, 13:48

Is there any possibility of introducing a Taxi Rank at the station? If Charlbury is really the second most used station on the Cotswold Line, as was recently claimed, I would have thought FGW &/or the Town Council might do more to encourage the use of taxis.

Now that we have lost all but the earliest buses from the top of town, there's a real problem getting to the station for anyone with reduced mobility. Of course, the reintroduction of the station bus would be ideal; but since GoRide has just cut 5 of its West Oxfordshire routes altogether, that seems unlikely.

A taxi rank might encourage more people to leave their cars at home. For the last few months (whilst recovering from a broken foot), I've had to give up traveling by train from Charlbury -- except at weekends when I can park at the station.

When Water Eaton is open, there will doubtless be some more parking places available; but as I suspect that the Water Eaton Car Park will also prove extremely popular, any relief in terms of car parking at Charlbury station is likely to be only temporary.

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 20 Nov 2014, 12:24

Perhaps some of the disabled bays could be removed. Initially there were 10 but that has been reduced. When the line was redoubled, the distance from the bays to the new platform is such that anyone who can walk that distance would not qualify for a Blue Badge and the bays have been moved to the far side of the Ticket Office. I can not longer use Charlbury Station for this reason and the bays seem to be often used as pick up and drop off points. How many use the bays? I have only seen one on recent visits to collect family.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 17 Nov 2014, 18:47

The Town Council had a presentation of the proposed design for the new car park before it went in for planning and I made the point then that the design mixed pedestrian and car movements in a careless way. We were told it was too late to change the design. We must ask for changes to be made as part of any new planning application for an expansion of the car park.

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 17 Nov 2014, 09:55

Which is why that is the wrong place to build a Young Dementia Home

Susan Way
👍

Mon 17 Nov 2014, 08:56

Under inconsiderate drivers can I also call out those who drive too fast down to the station in the morning, career through the puddles in the road and soak all unfortunate pedestrians in their way.
Charlbury resident QY57RZA being one example.

victoria bull
👍

Fri 14 Nov 2014, 18:46

Before any additional parking space is added, the safety of pedestrians needs to be considered, especially on dark evenings at busy times. Cars come from all directions. There's no designated path for those leaving the station other than platform 1 and trying to cross the road from the station to the path by cherry trees is very dangerous. Some drivers are very inconsiderate in their impatience to get home. I fear that action will only be taken when there has been an accident.

Brian Murray
👍

Thu 13 Nov 2014, 23:04

No, Mark, now is not the time to push forward, as you put it. With Water Eaton services to London starting next summer and the service extended to and from Oxford in 2016, it clearly makes sense to wait and assess the changes to passenger demand at Charlbury.

Something that can be done now to free up some parking space is to encourage Charlbury residents who live within easy walking distance of the station to leave the car at home, where possible, and walk down the hill.

Mark Sulik
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 19:09

The new car park provided 75 additional spaces that have been made available in the last 12 months.......all in use !
For many years, people have travelled from woodstock to get the Charlbury train as they were able to park and the ticket price was less than from Oxford. Why drive with the flow of traffic unless the benifit of time ,or cost is a factor
It will take an age to get the problem of additional spaces approved, so push forward now

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 18:34

Absolutely right Jon. I know someone who has, up to now, driven from near Woodstock to Charlbury to get a train to London and will now drive ti Water Eaton station.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 14:01 (last edited on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 14:03)

I think you're right Steve. In fact, if Chiltern Railways use the Water Eaton P&R to offer a similar service to London to the one they give their passengers from Bicester and Banbury, I should think a lot of Charlbury people will use it too, if not for prices then for the more frequent trains and the decent evening service. Cheap tickets online (Banbury to Marylebone return can be as low as £21), trains returning from Marylebone every half hour till 22.45, excellent reliability... Chiltern Railways have a reputation for being competitive, and my guess is that FGW will lose out as customers desert.

In particular, anyone driving towards Charlbury station from the eastern or southern side of town will think twice if there is a cheaper, more reliable and more frequent service from another station only a few miles away. Charlbury to Water Eaton 14 miles.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 09:35

Two points. First, the drainage needs to be properly sorted out - many of the parking bays continue to be under water when it rains. Secondly I suggest that there is a modest pause until it is clear what the impact of the new station and linked parking on the Chiltern line at Water Eaton (Summer 2015), as some folks from further afield might go there instead. Is there any information where people currently drive from?

John Stanley
👍

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 21:53

FGW is looking into the feasibility of adding a second deck above the new low level area. Car parking is becoming a problem all along the Cotswold Line. Despite its new 191 space car park, Hanborough is at over 95% capacity most weekdays (other than Fridays). Kingham, Honeybourne, and Pershore are usually full as well.

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 16:52

the car park at the station was full again today , pushing station users back on to public roads.
It was full last week, having a sign posted outside the ticket office.
With the new carpark creating the additional spaces there is insufficient space for the demand.
What provisions are being made, if any , to increase capacity.?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.