8mm Cine films to DVD

john h
👍

Wed 19 Nov 2014, 20:02 (last edited on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 20:04)

Jean Are they standard or super 8 films? JH

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 18 Nov 2014, 20:56

As I have many reels, I was projecting them to see the content before converting to DVD's, using a very old projector. Sadly, after seeing three reels, my projector has given up the ghost. A friend is lending me his, but if anyone has one they don't want, I should be interested.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Thu 13 Nov 2014, 18:37

Thank you Malcolm, that is interesting, thanks for taking the time to explain.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Thu 13 Nov 2014, 15:18 (last edited on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 15:21)

Geoff there is certainly truth in what you say in that 8mm film has a maximum resolution. However; you might be misunderstanding what I am meaning by High Definition in this context. I'm not referring to something like HDDVD or HDTV but the method and resolution used to capture the image from the original 8mm stock. The methodology used impacts the final result substantially but also costs more as each frame is captured individually. I only happen to know about this as I work for a technology company that supplies technology to a number of media companies involved in the production of film and graphics.
The maximum resolution for an 8mm film transfer is limited by the film grain size and the size of the frame. 8mm film has approximately the equivalent of 700 lines of horizontal resolution. So, a standard definition 8mm film transfer will only be able to capture about 480 out of the 700 lines of resolution from your film. A high definition 8mm film transfer will be able to capture all 700 lines of resolution and the type of transfer is equally important to the final quality you receive.Frame by frame capture and transfer in High Definition will provide the maximum quality which can be achieved.
You will probably also find that the colours have shifted, exposure may be now darker, or its grainy and scratched which are natural side effects due to the age of the film. So if you want to maximise the overall result its good to uses a company that can offer a restoration service too.
Obviously all this costs so in the end it will be you pays your money and takes your choice; depending on what end result you want to achieve :)

Geoff Belcher
👍

Thu 13 Nov 2014, 13:51

If the quality is not there to start with you do get a rather bad example of HD. I have seen many examples of this. But then you no better.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 23:15 (last edited on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 23:16)

Well 250 feet would equate to about 10 to 15 minutes running time depending if its standard or super 8 for £30
I would beg to differ on the HD question as these days film restoration and enhancement using digital techniques has come a long long way. I think you would be very surprised with what can be achieved these days with very poor quality source stock which even predates 8mm by many decades.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 20:00

The one I got done was not HD, no point as the quality of 8mm or super 8 would not warrant it.
The price for 250 feet approx. was £30

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 19:27

When I have looked a this its been quite expensive. To convert to High Definition it was over £100 for 30 minutes running time

john h
👍

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 19:19

Jean I could always lend you a projector John H

Geoff Belcher
👍

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 16:20

Timpsons in Sainsburys Witney, do a very good job.

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 16:06

Is there a local Company who provide this service? Please email me if you can supply a name

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.