Arghgh! Binmen alarm clock!

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 24 Sep 2014, 17:53

You are right Kat it definitely isn't, he actually as never been to me at 1.30 maybe there's more than one Milk delivery service but I do prefer my milk from a bottle it always seems to smell funny from plastic.
Lets hope the bin lorry situation gets better for you there appears to be some discussion going on with regard to kerb side collections but only time will tell.

Kat Patrick
👍

Wed 24 Sep 2014, 14:57

I sometimes hear the milkman at 1:30 am too, but it's not the same level of noise as the recycling men, nor the duration.

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 23 Sep 2014, 09:15

It was back to the normal lorry this week but turned up about 7, and I get up 6 anyway to get his lordship off to work, so not a problem for me.I hope no one else gets woken by my Milkman who comes about 4.30 on Tuesday, Thursday and Sat. Hope it gets better for you Kat.

Kat Patrick
👍

Tue 23 Sep 2014, 08:25

Pearl, I'm afraid I didn't notice about last week. But today, it was 5:50 am. That's REALLY uncool! If anyone had a neighbour who idled their lorry outside their house, broke bottles, dragged heavy boxes down the road, and stacked and/or threw the boxes around(threw in my case; everyone else seemed to get stacked ... hmmmm) a sound akin to slamming doors, then I'm sure it would be classed as a nuisance. I noticed on Chartwell Drive, they turned the lorry engine off. That doesn't help when they fire it back up and run their hydraulic something-or-other after ten minutes of breaking bottles, dragging and stacking boxes, etc. This area of Charlbury isn't noted for its traffic jams nor a lorry causing any back-ups, so starting here at 5:50 am (or any time before 7:30 IMHO) is ludicrous. It's just a planning issue -- someone moving boxes around on a timetable with a mouse, and not thinking about the people and children they're waking up.

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 16 Sep 2014, 15:25

Hello Kat,did you have a different type of vehicle as our collection wasn't until early afternoon instead of 7ish and the contents of the box were just tipped into the vehicle, no sorting at all?

Kat Patrick
👍

Tue 16 Sep 2014, 14:57

Today was a 7:15 am wake-up call -- much more civilised!

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 11 Sep 2014, 23:56

More up-to-date news on the issue of commingled waste vs kerbside waste sorting
www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-news/waste-management/wrap-changes-stance-on-commingling

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 11 Sep 2014, 23:51

www.mineralandwasteplanning.co.uk/news/1088057/recycling---research-casts-doubt-kerbside-sorting-benefits-track-record

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 11 Sep 2014, 23:29

Kerbside sorting is the main problem here as it takes so long. Why can't the sorting be done at depots as it is in some other counties, doing away with traffic hold ups caused by recycling lorries (not their fault) and reduction in early morning noise? Also, it would enable each of us to have one or two large dustbins each for all our recycling rather than all the unsightly stacks of black boxes which get blown over in high winds spreading litter everywhere.

brian
👍

Thu 11 Sep 2014, 06:36 (last edited on Thu 11 Sep 2014, 08:45)

Nowadays no doubt they have to register so many 'units' per shift - thought up by some twit in an office who has no idea what they have to encounter - parked cars, traffic etc. They most probably have to start early as the powers that be have increased the size of their 'rounds' (the computer proved it would work). Any bin with bottles in it will make a noise when emptied I'm afraid. IMO they deserve a medal for doing a job 99% of us wouldn't want to attempt.

Caroline Shenton
👍

Wed 10 Sep 2014, 21:21

Usual time for Market St.

Leah Fowler
👍

Wed 10 Sep 2014, 18:35

So what time do the recycling men have to get up!!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 10 Sep 2014, 16:00

They usually come round Hughes Close and Sturt Close at this time and no-one complains.....
Have to say they've been late the last couple of weeks.

sarah routley
👍

Tue 9 Sep 2014, 16:16

They woke me up!

Kat Patrick
👍

Tue 9 Sep 2014, 14:42

The past few Tuesdays, the recycling men have descended upon Ditchley Road around 6 am, and crashed and smashed bottles for half-an-hour or more as they work up Ditchley Road and around The Green.

Surely if builders are restricted to making noise after 7:30 am as a reasonable guideline, then binmen shouldn't be creating such a racket in built-up areas.

I have written WODC, but hope others will join me if the bottle-smashfest is annoying you too early, too.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.