English cherries

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Tue 5 Aug 2014, 20:35

IME its not the farmers who are greedy but all the middlemen who want their cut (distributor, wholesaler, retailer etc!) Farmer usually gets a pittance.

Ruth Williams
👍

Tue 5 Aug 2014, 20:13

Brian I agree, in the ideal world we would all buy british, as an example how many of us have foreign cars?

brian
👍

Tue 5 Aug 2014, 17:00

You buy what you can afford - if English farmers/fruit growers weren't so greedy perhaps people would support them

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 5 Aug 2014, 16:33

They sell French and Spanish wine too, not to mention Chilean, Australian and New Zealand. Maybe you don't buy English wine because of the cost, but the Spanish cherries are nearly half the price of English ones in Waitrose. Sadly. Perhaps the deli has local cherries: I must go and look. I'd certainly rather buy them.

And where are your bananas grown? Before you mock (as if you would!), you might not know that 100+ years ago bananas were grown in big greenhouses (since demolished) at Cornbury and 'exported' to London. It can be done! We just wouldn't have so many. Or so cheap.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 2 Aug 2014, 20:44

And from Chile anywhere but UK

Ann Harper
👍

Sat 2 Aug 2014, 19:20

In the English cherry season the co-op in Charlbury are selling Spanish cherries. Shameful.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.