Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2014, 16:08

Great news!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2014, 16:02

Yep, that's one of the main reasons I'm doing it (and indeed the code to do that bit is already done!).

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2014, 15:57 (last edited on Fri 8 Aug 2014, 15:57)

Richard, if you are rebuilding the website can I put in a request to encrypt passwords? They're currently stored in plain text which isn't secure, especially if people use their passwords across more than one site, which lots of people do even if it isn't a good idea.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2014, 15:23

The Visit Charlbury site is lovely-looking and David, if you were amenable, I'd really like to incorporate the photos from it into this site.

It would be great, for example, to incorporate the interior pics you have of the Deli into the listing page at www.charlbury.info/business/163 .

I'm rebuilding the backend of charlbury.info this year from its current, rather antique foundations (Perl+MySQL) into something faster-moving and more flexible (similar to Ruby on Rails) which would be an ideal opportunity to do it.

Clare Carswell
👍

Fri 1 Aug 2014, 11:17

Hi David, I was unaware of your site but it looks great and it seems a shame to lose it so I am happy to have a chat to see if I can help to run it, perhaps with someone else locally. We could share the work involved.

David Green
👍

Thu 31 Jul 2014, 22:45

Hi Andrew, I think this site does a great job as you say. The other site was created several years ago to help local businesses promote their products/services more visually and to provide a community newsletter where businesses could promote new things. The Charlbury Info site has been updated since. I just don't have the time to drive this forward.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 31 Jul 2014, 18:51

I am sorry to say, David, that I was unaware of your website, and for any info about Charlbury my first port of call is this one, simply because it is the one I know so well. However, yours does look very good and it would be a great pity to lose it totally.

It looks as if the information you have on there is very similar to what is on this one, though I also admit that I do not make use of every section of this one so I may be wrong about the similarity. I also see that a few of the businesses listed are no longer trading, such as the Bookshop and Harris and Thompson paint shop, which may, of course be simply because, as you say, you do not have the time to maintain it any more.

David Green
👍

Thu 31 Jul 2014, 18:16

Does anyone want to take on the Visit Charlbury website or should I close it down? I originally created the site to showcase local businesses and to provide a regular newsletter to keep people spending locally. I no-longer have the time to maintain it, but would happily keep hosting it for free if anyone would like to take it on. The mailing list is growing and it's a shame the local businesses don't have access to this data for their marketing. If I don't hear anything I will just redirect traffic to this site that does a brilliant job of promoting local businesses too.
Thanks, David website is www.visitcharlbury.co.uk

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.