New coffee shop/deli?

Caroline Shenton
👍

Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:31 (last edited on Thu 25 Sep 2014, 13:32)

The new cafe, Ciardi, seems to have opened this morning and is staying open at least until 6.30pm. In the window are some nice-looking bottles of Italian wine - yay! fine wine to take away in Charlbury at last...

John Bell
👍

Thu 14 Aug 2014, 09:51

Speaking as a shareholder and customer of the existing Deli, I wish the new business the best of luck and plan to be an early customer. The more vibrant and competitive local businesses are, the more likely we are to have high quality in our lovely town which is good for everyone in the long run.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2014, 14:58

Helen, is it still possible to buy shares? Is there a website? Thanks. Hannen.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2014, 12:59

I know what you're saying Helen, we do not want to lose the Charlbury Deli!

Megan Bell
👍

Thu 7 Aug 2014, 23:28

Hi Helen, yes I realise thanks. Choice/competition healthy though if a range of tastes are to be catered for. .Although a rather unusual offering here, admittedly with News n things cafe right next door with similar offering to existing deli. Be interesting to see what evolves. Best of luck to the new business in the centre, I am sure there is a market for it if they pitch it right. And better another business than yet another residential conversion.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Thu 7 Aug 2014, 16:53

While wishing the new Italian the best of luck (Charlbury needs as many businesses as possible) I am a little surprised that Megan and one or two others seem not to realise that we already have the Charlbury Deli in Sheep Street, a business originally set up nearly 20 years ago and supported by Charlbury shareholders for the benefit of Charlbury. Do please visit if you have not done so yet. It sells many items not available at the Co-op as well as having wi fi and excellent coffee. Helen BC

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 5 Aug 2014, 08:58

Mark, if you go to this link www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/changeofuse. you will find the information under the paragraph headed "Additional change of use permitted development rights applying from 30 May 2013", fifth paragraph. Not easy to find but it is definitely there.

Brian Murray
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2014, 18:00

Glad to see that a licencing application has now been submitted to WODC, in place of the previous one sent to Cherwell D.C.. Amazing that Cherwell started to process the application and got as far as sending the notice for public display to the applicant, who then dutifully posted it in the window of the premises.

Mark Purcell
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2014, 16:31 (last edited on Mon 4 Aug 2014, 20:12)

Thank you for that information. Pity that details of the legislative changes are not more prominently displayed on the UK government planning portal - which I got to via the link on the district council site.

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2014, 08:59 (last edited on Mon 4 Aug 2014, 10:38)

Amendments to the Town and Country Planning Act were published in May last year. This permits change of use from shop (A1) to a café or restaurant (A3) without planning permission for a period of 2 years. I can assure you that the council is aware of this change of use and is quite happy for it to go ahead, as per my previous post.

Mark Purcell
👍

Sun 3 Aug 2014, 09:49

I am puzzled that Liz is so clear that planning permission is not required for a change of use, and reading up on this I'm inclined to agree with Angus and Christine. The application for an alcohol license is for sale on or off the premises, which on comparison with the official government planning portal appears to shift use from category A1 (shops, including sandwich bars) to category A3 (drinking establishments, including pubs and wine bars) or, if the alcohol is ancillary and it's primarily about food perhaps to A2 (sale of food or drink on the premises). There is also a category A5 for hot food consumed off the premises. Planning permission is generally required to shift from one catagory to another. The drafting is rather dense and I may have misunderstood it, but on the face of it, that is what it seems to say. Can anyone clarify? It doesn't seem unreasonable that neighbours should be able to know more and then express a view when they do. www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/changeofuse

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 2 Aug 2014, 16:39

Will be good to have more choice as the other fayre on offer is rather predictable

Megan Bell
👍

Sat 2 Aug 2014, 15:27

Great to see a new business opening, wish it well! And if they have fresh, quality deli items so much the better. Cold or otherwise.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 2 Aug 2014, 13:13 (last edited on Sat 2 Aug 2014, 13:14)

A license to sell alcohol has been applied for. Here's the link: https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/business/licences-permits/regulated-entertainment-the-sale-of-alcohol/licensing-consultations/

I'm also quite surprised that an application for change of use has not been applied for. If hot food is being prepared on the premises, it will surely be needed. But perhaps they intend to sell only cold food or reheated food ...

Angus B
👍

Sat 2 Aug 2014, 09:50

I would've thought it needed change of use permission from a bookshop to serving hot food.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 31 Jul 2014, 11:36

In answer to Mark, it doesn't need planning permission. The council have had a look to make sure that there is nothing being done to compromise the listed building or the conservation area, and are happy that all is fine.

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 31 Jul 2014, 10:10

I bumped into the owner a couple of weeks ago, and she's lovely (I used to walk her dog) and very friendly. I am really looking forward to it. Plus it's on the way home from the station so all us commuters can pop in after a long day at work.

Mark Purcell
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 21:36

Presumably it needs planning permission?

John Dora
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 19:51

Bellissimo! Wonder if they'll sell Fernet Branca?

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 17:05 (last edited on Wed 30 Jul 2014, 17:07)

Perhaps its the Dolmio family of TV fame :):)
So much for the summer diet then. I wonder if they will be allowed to serve limoncello?

Clare Carswell
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 16:07

Delizioso !

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 12:41

Quite!

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 12:09

Italian home cooking ..... yum :)

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 30 Jul 2014, 11:45

Not just a rumour! An application has just been made for a premises licence, for a café and delicatessen. The lady who has made the application is herself Italian, and I believe plans to sell and serve Italian food. The requested start date is August 26th, so it should be opening very soon.

Suzy M-H
👍

Mon 28 Jul 2014, 20:07

I've heard that there's to be a new cafe/deli in the old bookshop premises. Does anyone know more about it? When it opens? Who's in charge? Etc?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.