Bus changes

glena chadwick
👍

Mon 2 Jun 2014, 00:51

Very sorry to contradict you Shelagh and Susie but I have missed the bus twice (both times when I was trundling a case but still trying to hurry). I did catch the bus last week (no case) but I spoke to the driver about this problem and, far from checking, he still drove away while people were coming down the steps. Don't mean to be harsh but that is actually what happened.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 1 Jun 2014, 12:12 (last edited on Sun 1 Jun 2014, 12:21)

Time travel is not necessary in the afternoons, Jon, for the C1 journeys, only more than one C1 bus. It looks as if the buses do not come back to Charlbury Station on their return from Burford, but go along the A40. A similar route in the morning but in the opposite direction explains why we aren't offered a morning option of going from Charlbury to Burford.

This means that time travel would be required to benefit from John Stanley's suggestion of coming back from Burford on the new X10 service. The earliest into Burford is @ 17.50, and the latest back to Chippy is 15.40.

Obviously, the new buses to Burford have not been designed to help residents of Charlbury get to and from Burford, but for train commuters from Burford to get to the station. I suppose they might help us by relieving pressure on car parking somewhat. Any new options are welcome, but it's a shame that they don't also offer a way of allowing residents of Charlbury to get into Burford (including the school).

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 31 May 2014, 10:00

Train arrives 17.56, bus departs 17.57. No pressure on the driver then? If requested, the bus goes to Burford (arr. 18.36, according to Traveline). It is then due to meet the 18.35 train at Charlbury station, and depart at 18.40. That's pretty straightforward then. Time travel is obviously in fashion, so perhaps Glena can fix it so she's on the bus at Charlbury before her train pulls in to the platform.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 May 2014, 22:42

Yes, that's what I do but they always do wait. I have never missed the bus

Shelagh Scott
👍

Fri 30 May 2014, 19:46

That seems a bit harsh - I've found that the drivers check before moving away. If one is really slow, maybe the thing to do is ask a younger faster passenger to request the driver to wait for a particular person.

glena chadwick
👍

Thu 29 May 2014, 21:56

The station bus is obviously a very good thing but only if one has time to catch it. If one takes the ramp (because one is trundling a case and is not strong enough to carry it up and down the stairs)the bus will have gone before one has got anywhere near it----likewise if one is rather frail and not fast. This seems a very great shame as the bus should serve exactly those people---those with luggage or the less able----not all of whom will be met by private cars. Is there no way of ensuring that the bus waits until all who need it have caught it ?

John Stanley
👍

Thu 29 May 2014, 21:19

The C1 timetable from 2nd June is available on www.goridebus.co.uk/go_ride/Oxfordshire_files/C1%20Charlbury%20Railbus.pdf
Travel to and from Burford is possible by using the X9 either to Chipping Norton or Witney then transferring to the new X10 service, the timetable for which is available on www.goridebus.co.uk/go_ride/Oxfordshire_files/X10%20Chipping%20Norton%20-%20Witney.pdf

Chris Tatton
👍

Thu 29 May 2014, 20:43

Great news if we can use the C1 to get to Burford and back.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 29 May 2014, 13:59 (last edited on Thu 29 May 2014, 14:00)

See the article in the Witney Gazette about the bus changes that come in this weekend: www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/11238510.All_change_for_West_Oxfordshire_s_bus_routes/?ref=mr

I am sure the directions part of the Charlbury website will be updated in time, but until that happens note that it's now Pulham Coaches that are operating the X9 bus between Witney and Chipping Norton, via Charlbury. The new timetable is here: www.pulhamscoaches.com/#/timetables/4539355309

There are also changes to the C1 bus to the station: most importantly, that the C1 can be extended to run to Burford by request in the afternoons. Great! But until the timetables are updated online, I'm not sure how we could get back to Charlbury from Burford! The Go Ride website has yet to be updated. It still lists the T1 bus which now no longer exists.

It would be good to have the Burford option also in the mornings, with the option of returning in the afternoon!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.