anti-witchcraft marks in Charlbury

David Pollock
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2014, 17:48

Rhona, thank you.. yours are the one "complete set " of burns and engravings I know of in Town!

Anthony. I have a picture of Rhona's circles, but for an impression of the range of things I am looking for, have a look at Shona Robson-Glydes work from Worcestershire , published on the Web!

Thanks for your interest

David

Rhona Walker
👍

Fri 30 May 2014, 22:39

Have a look at our fireplace beam. We have burn marks and circles.

Anthony Merry
👍

Fri 30 May 2014, 20:47

Do you have any images of these marks?

David Pollock
👍

Wed 28 May 2014, 11:14

First, a big and public thank you to all who helped me with my researches into Charlbury buildings last year.

While I was engaged on that study I came across a number of burn marks in fireplace beams and also in one case some engraved marks (circles, but other forms do occur).

Such marks were made in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, probably to prevent witches entering the house or otherwise to avert the evil eye.

I hope to do a more scientific study of them and would love to hear from anyone in the town with examples that I have not seen.

Please post, or give me a call on 07590486671

Many thanks

David Pollock

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.