WW1 war graves

Ali Ross
👍

Mon 17 Feb 2014, 22:27

Thanks Celia and Hannen. We'll look forward to the exhibition.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 14 Feb 2014, 19:30

If WWl interests you visit https://www.zooniverse.org/ where you can participate in tagging the diaries of the soldiers. Fascinating and worthwhile.

Celia Faulkner
👍

Mon 10 Feb 2014, 21:01

Hello Ali
The museum holds all the info on Charlbury's soldiers who died in WW1, and we can tell you where they are buried. We don't have up to date info on many of their families, however. We are doing a special exhibition on Charlbury in the war this year, so do come along and visit us. We open on the first weekend in April. Hope the trip goes well. Celia

Leah Fowler
👍

Mon 10 Feb 2014, 09:44

Celia on 810656

Ali Ross
👍

Sun 9 Feb 2014, 20:36

Thanks all, I'll follow up on your suggestions.

Peter Bennett
👍

Wed 5 Feb 2014, 20:13

A quick search of the names on the war memorial, and comparing them with the Commonwealth War Graves site, shows Bertram Brookfield, 1st Wiltshires, at Menin Gate, and George Thornett, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, at Tyne Cot. I could not find four of those listed. None of the others appear to be at the places Alice is visiting.

john h
👍

Wed 5 Feb 2014, 17:36

You could try the Charlbury Museum ,they will have some records, and are putting on a display this year to commemorate the Great War.
If you call Janet Jeffs on 01608 810709 I am sure she will be of assistance

John H

Alison Cherry
👍

Mon 3 Feb 2014, 16:49

Hello Ali, The Charlbury Branch of the British Legion may be a good start or Nick Potter.

Ali Ross
👍

Mon 3 Feb 2014, 13:41 (last edited on Thu 6 Feb 2014, 10:22)

Hi,

My daughter, Alicia, is going on a school trip to Belgium, to visit a series of war graves among other sites. Her teacher has suggested the kids research the names on their local war memorials to see if they can trace the graves during the visit. We thought it might be worthwhile to extend this invitation more widely: Do any local people have relatives who were lost in WW1, and buried in any of the following war graves?

Lisjessenthoek Cemetery, Poperinge
Teh Menin Gate, Ypres
Vimy Ridge Memorial, France
Essex Farm Cemetery, Ypres
Sanctuary Wood and Hill 26 memorial and cemetery
Tyne Cot cemetery, Passchendaele

If you do and would like them remembered during this visit, please let us know the details.

Thanks,
Ali

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.