Demise of Charlbury Brownies and Rainbows

Heather Hill
👍

Thu 14 Nov 2013, 17:25

Fay what about the Brownies? I have offered my help and am just waiting on someone getting back to me. I am very keen to keep them going.

Fay Kempson
👍

Tue 12 Nov 2013, 22:01

As the current leader of Charlbury Rainbows and Brownies, I have not reached the decision of closing the units lightly. It is with much sadness I have to do this, it is not just due to lack of help, the girl numbers are also low, out of 4 rainbows 2 of them travel from North Leigh.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 23:13

Let's hope then that a Brownie pack can remain here in Charlbury. I remember my time as a brownie with fondness and think the Guiding movement is a wonderful organisation for all girls. It would be a shame to deny all the girls of Charlbury a chance of belonging to that movement.

Heather Hill
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 19:13

I have emailed my interest in helping.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 16:06

The District Commissioner is Janet Monk janisjsm@btinternet.com

Liz Gupta
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 14:22

I found this article interesting and it changed my views on where the movement is heading. I hope someone does volunteer and carry on all the good work that has been done over the years in Charlbury.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/04/girl-guides-sewing-activism-protests-sexism

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 13:50

Sorry the first c is in lower case

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 13:48

The e-mail of the Division Commissioner is:- CarolineObooth@btinternet.com
I do not hve the e-mail addresses of the joint District Commissioners

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 13:42

I find it very sad having re-opened the pack in 1959

Heather Hill
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 13:29

I also must have missed this. I have no experience but would be happy to volunteer some of my time.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 9 Nov 2013, 10:43

I had no idea the shed had closed?
Did they ask here for volunteers?
If so I must have missed it

Clare Carswell
👍

Fri 8 Nov 2013, 20:46

That is such a shame Susie. I do not know at the moment if I am going to be staying in Charlbury otherwise I would offer to see if I could get training to help out. I loved the Brownies and the Guides and think that groups like that are so valuable for building confidence in young girls. I really do hope that someone steps forward to make sure the group keeps running. Kids need activities they can attend in their communities, to build those community and also that they can walk to without endlessly being driven around by parents !

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 8 Nov 2013, 18:34

I have just heard that as no one has come forward to volunteer as a helper and so from the new year the Brownies will now be joining the pack in Chadlington and the Rainbows will be joining those in Finstock. Both these villages are smaller than Charlbury; can there really be no one who could take over the running of these. Soon there will be nothing for children to do here in Charlbury since the Shed has also closed due to the lack of volunteers. I cannot believe that in Charlbury with its strong community spirit there can be no one at all who would be be prepared to help.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.