'Private Property Signs'

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:05

That's great news. Baby grass snakes are back in our garden this year. No sign of any hedgehogs though. Possibly have badgers which would explain the lack of hedgehog...

Peter Kenrick
👍

Sun 18 Aug 2013, 22:09

As Andrew says the glow worms were along the grass verge of the Little Lees road. They are normally most prevalent in June and July but regrettably we have seen no sign of them this year. We will have to wait and see whether they reappear next year but I am not hopeful. On a positive note for the wildlife in the private area between Woody Lane and the new houses, I did see a live grass snake a couple of days ago slithering into the conifer wood whilst I was walking along the public footpath between Woody Lane and Little Lees.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 18 Aug 2013, 21:35

It is very close. They were on the grass verge along the Little Lees road, and were still there while the building was going on. They only appear at certain times of the year, so I have no idea if they are, or will be, there this year.

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Sun 18 Aug 2013, 20:51

Thank you for the information. Is that the area where the glow worms are or have they gone?

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:12

Mike is right; these signs have been turned the wrong way round by some joker.

They have been placed in the unofficial entrances to the field and wooded area, ie, where the fences have been broken down for many years. The new Little Lees affordable houses have been recently built on the south edge of this field, which has, incidentally, always been private, but the owner had apparently not bothered when people used it for exercising dogs or themselves.

While those houses were being built some damage was done in the wooded area, with quite large trees being cut down to build "dens", presumably by children or youths; lots of rubbish and junk was left in the area, and one afternoon a huge bonfire was left burning and caused considerable damage to some of the larger mature trees.

Soon after that episode, to which we had to call the fire service, temporary plastic "Private Property" notices appeared, but were soon pulled down and broken by people who presumably did not want to stop using the area. Those have now been replaced by more permanent signs concreted into the ground, but not immovable as you have seen.

Mike Williams
👍

Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:50

I would guess they were put up to alert people in Woody Lane that the houses beyond are private and some local comedian has turned them through 180 degrees. Some of them still seem to face the way intended.

I consider this money well spent. The presence of the chain link fence and people's gardens wasn't nearly enough of a clue for me. I was glad to have had any ambiguity removed but now get confused every time I walk up Woody Lane. Perhaps sentry posts and razor wire could be considered in future.

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Sun 18 Aug 2013, 17:50

I walked along Woody Lane, the bridle path today, which I haven't done for some time now & saw signs facing into the bridle path & facing towards Lees Heights estate saying Private Property (or to that effect). Anyone know anything about these signs? Thought this wasn't allowed as Woody Lane is a bridle path? Mind you as styles/gates seemed to of been allowed, so it doesn't surprise me.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.