Freeview from Walcot Transmitter

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 23 Jan, 18:27

There will be an alternative to Freesat and Freeview later this year. It will be called Freely, and it will come from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Freely will stream each broadcaster’s programming live with more channels set to follow. 

No aerial or satellite dish will be required, only broadband. It will streamline changing channels via a menu screen, as on live TV, but will only work on (some) new TVs. I think Hisense will be the first, other smart TVs to follow. 

I've been putting off upgrading my TV and/or aerial until I see what Freely offers.

Oddly, I've been getting better reception via my aerial in the last few weeks, having had pretty well none (except for Channels 7 and 12 and a few linked channels) right through 2023. I think it must be to do with BBC switching off its SD channels (as of 8 January 2024), but am not really sure of the reason.

Mike Summers
👍

Tue 23 Jan, 17:21

When I moved to Nine Acres I had a choice of Walcot or Freesat.  The signal from Walcot was so weak - even though I could see the mast from the house I decided to go freesat.  The arial and dish were the same price, so a no brainer.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 21 Jan, 09:31

Havea look at the info at https://radioandtvhelp.co.uk/problem-assistant/problems-with-freeview-rec

This seems to suggest that there may be problems but whether this is just at the moment or always I'm not sure.

Sandy Fairhurst
👍

Sun 21 Jan, 09:06

Just checked, Stephen, and my Freeview via Walcot is  fine.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 20 Jan, 16:33

Cannot seem to find a retuned signal from the Walcot TV relay transmitter. 

Does anyone else have this problem (folks that get their TV signal from the Oxford transmitter need not reply!). 

I've looked the transmitter website Andrew suggested in this ancient thread and it does not report any problems. Thanks

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 1 Jul 2013, 00:53

Did as Andrew suggested and seems ok now!! Thanks x

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sat 29 Jun 2013, 20:18 (last edited on Sat 29 Jun 2013, 20:29)

Yes, we have had problems earlier this week on all channels so I rescanned and it seemed to improve things a bit, but I have to do that about once a month, it seems to me, in order to keep a decent signal from Walcott.

At the moment I can not even find the transmitter information web-site I used to use as it appears to have been closed down, and so far a search has not found any detailed information on the Walcott repeater transmitter. Anyone got the new website address?

OK, I have found a site which I got to from the BBC, but a bit of a trail round and around to find it.
https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/rtis_site/postcodePage

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 29 Jun 2013, 18:13

Yes, but it was the week before for us and we thought perhaps with all the wind and rain our own aerial had been damaged. Then it was OK but last night watching Graham Norton it appeared bad again. Lets hope its OK in time for the Men's Final!!

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:45

Has anyone had problems this week with the BBC1 and BBC2 Freeview signal from the Walcot, Charlbury transmitter? It seems OK now (Sat 29/6) but we have had no BBC signal earlier in the week.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.