Deer

russell robson
👍

Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:19

Under their duties to protect public health all local authorities have a duty to remove dead animals from public spaces. They are required to appoint a certified contractor to remove the corpse to a location for safe and legal disposal.

I have rung them and someone is one their way today/tomorrow.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:55

Animals do die, and many kill each other. The robin is a particularly aggressive bird.

Is it not up to the landowner if animals die/are killed on their land? I know WODC remove roadkill, but dead animals not on the public highway? I think (I may be wrong) that the land in question here belongs to the Town Council, so perhaps if a couple of councillors feel it their public duty...

russell robson
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2013, 23:05

WODC have a duty to remove dead animals.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2013, 19:50

That muntjac deer was in the field early on Tuesday morning and at that time I could see no sign of damage to the carcase. It had obviously been dead a while and it was still showing strong signs of rigor-mortis. As it was so near to the skateboard rink I rang the police 101 number to report it as a possible safety hazard for children and was told that they (the police) would contact the local council to arrange for the carcase's removal.

This morning the carcase was still in the same place, having obviously been partly eaten by something, and half the rump was gone.

There must surely be some organisation that has responsibility for removal of such things from public places.

john h
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2013, 19:20

The stag has the antlers to do the damage, I am sure the ladies could fall out with each other, she may have realy upset a male who knows! Muntjac tend to breed all year .

Lesley Algar
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2013, 18:43

Hi, Thanks for the info, its really interesting but It was a female and do females attack each other. If it was a female could it have had young or it to early in the season.

john h
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2013, 16:24 (last edited on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 19:16)

This muntjac has possibly been attacked by another muntjac, this is a prefered way of killing a opponent, stabbing in the back so to speak, and the fatal blow is normally to the ribs,not quite as cuddley as Bambi.

I believe they are now classed as vermin.
An angery stag will do a lot of damage to a dog if cornered so be aware!!

Lesley Algar
👍

Tue 16 Apr 2013, 21:55

I can across a dead deer/mud jack in the middle of the field next to Ticknell piece while walking my Spaniels around 6.30 today. It appeared as it had been attacked possibly by a dog, it had a large bloody hole in its rear. Another person walking her dog had also reported it earlier. I have rang the RSPCA. Police. Who seem to have no interest. Who is supposed to be resposible for wildlife? Especially wildlife endangered by other people or pets. The only people interested were the wiildlife crime watch.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.