Garden Society Spring Show

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 5 Apr 2013, 12:44

I've been given another tip - put buds in tepid water rather than standing them in a warm place, as this will bring the flowers out faster - I'll give it a try!

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Thu 4 Apr 2013, 10:02

There are 4 classes in this year's Spring Show for Flower Arrangements - and, unlike the other classes, flowers etc. for these classes don't have to be grown by the exhibitor - but can be bought in - the award is based on artistic arrangement.

Kate Smith
👍

Mon 1 Apr 2013, 21:47

Well I tried bring a few indoors (in a pot) on Friday afternoon - and I think they have put on about an inch already - so in 3 days - so if anyone else is wondering, if you have any borderline ready I think it's worth a try - and of course I'll plant the bulbs again anyway.

Geoff Clifford
👍

Mon 1 Apr 2013, 17:02

Clearly, 6" high is too short for cutting your daffodils. The second idea would work better, making sure that you diturb the roots as little as possible, and the sooner you do it now the better! Daffs in pots flower for a long time once they're out, so don't hesitate.

Nicola Morgan
👍

Mon 1 Apr 2013, 13:04

I wouldn't dig them up myself - the beauty of bulbs is that they come back year after year. However, I think it will take more than a few days to bring them out even in a warm room, so sooner rather than later.
You can also try shrubs such as forsythis, ribes (flowering redcurrant) and really, anything with a bud. There are some camellias around, too which wouold benefit from frost protection.

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:07

Could do with some advice on how best to bring things on for the show. Given the weather all my daffs are very late; I know it was suggested that you could pick them a day or two early and bring them inside, but is there a rule-of-thumb for how early? Most are just about 6" high like pencils, with their heads straight up, and I can't see them getting much bigger in time. What if I dig some up and brought them inside in a pot - would a week be enough to bring them to flower?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.