Where are the Cotswolds

Tony Graeme
👍

Thu 21 Feb 2013, 18:55

The reasons for where the boundary of the Cotswolds AONB runs seem to be a mixture of geology, land ownership, politics and who knows what else. Cricklade might think it is 'in the Cotswolds' but as can be seen on the map (see link in Richards post) it is definitely outside the designated Cotswolds AONB.
Tony

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 21 Feb 2013, 09:24

Mrs Juler fought hard and long to get Charlbury designated as in the Cotswold Area when she was our County Councillor
My brother lives in Cricklade which is very flat and they have been 'In the Cotswolds' a lot longer than we have.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:48

Probably an old urban myth, but this reminds me of the most reportedly asked question at the tourist office at (London) Victoria station: 'Are the Cotswolds open today?'

John Kearsey
👍

Wed 20 Feb 2013, 16:36

Thanks for the clarification Richard. I have been arguing for years that the Cotswolds started at Burford, but it appears my info is over twenty years out of date! It always seemed to me that the Cotswolds get a bit bigger every year; at the behest, I suspect of estate agents living just outside (wherever that may be now) It won't be long before we see an advert for a "delightful property on Hammersmith/Cotswold borders"

Carl Perkins
👍

Wed 20 Feb 2013, 13:25

The Cotswolds actually spread across 6 counties. Although predominantly Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, there are also places in Wiltshire, Somerset, Worcestershire and Warwickshire that can be classed as being in the Cotswolds. The term 'The Cotswolds' refer to a range of hills rather than a particular area or boundary. Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham is the highest point of the Cotswolds.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 20 Feb 2013, 07:43

Charlbury has officially been part of the Cotswolds since 1990 when the AONB boundaries were redrawn. The boundary runs along the Salt Way (as marked by the boundary stone) - you can see a map on the AONB website. It's on the Cotswold Line, WODC calls us the "Oxfordshire Cotswolds", and the VCH says we're on the Great Oolite limestone which is most characteristic of the Cotswolds. But I suspect all these things are in the eye of the beholder...

Charlie M
👍

Wed 20 Feb 2013, 07:41

NEVER!! Simply because the Cotswolds are NICE! Reading, on the other hand ...!

Ray Marshall
👍

Tue 19 Feb 2013, 23:20

When i was younger the edge of the Cotswolds was Stow on the Wold and that was pushing it. Over the years Burford has been included in the Cotswolds and now i see your website now says "Charlbury in the Cotswolds". Seems the Cotswolds are spreading. Will we see in the future "Reading, Gateway to the Cotswolds" Lol

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.