Carpet Cleaning Scam

David Green
👍

Tue 12 Feb 2013, 13:57

Agree. Generally these guys offer you an amazing deal (either on the phone or a leaflet) and then once in the house start adding on extras. These guys can be quite intimidating especially to the elderly.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 24 Jan 2013, 16:22

I was contacted today by telephone by somebody called Dean from Upholstery Protection Service which he said was local, but turned out to have a Dorset phone number (only obtained when I asked for a number on which I could ring him back).

The offer was to clean a carpet at a discount rate, and it looks as if it might have been the rogue trader, Dean Grant, who featured on Watchdog back in November 2010 in relation to a very similar deal, then offered by a company called Enterprise Cleaning Sevices. There's a U-Tube video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9IkGy_lD_A

Of course, I can't be sure that it's the same person; but the name & geographical area matches -- as does also the voice of the man on the Watchdog clip.

Dean mentioned local operatives in Charlbury, Abingdon and Wantage who were providing a special offer on cleaning carpets this week and next. He offered to make an appointment, and then send literature etc through the post, with the possibility of backing out later. My own advice is "Avoid!".

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.