Problems with Freeview signal

Reg James
👍

Wed 21 Nov 2012, 17:58

Sorry - confused Freeview with Freesat

Geoff Belcher
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2012, 22:10

Well said Reg but it wont help these people as they are after better Freeview which comes from Beckley or Wallcot repeater.

Reg James
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:09

Poor signal strength at the TV is often a result of a corroded LNB. The LNB is the gadget on the satellite dish at the end of the dish arm which picks up the signal from the dish and connects to the coax cable. It is exposed to all weathers and is a frequent source of failure/weak signal/pixelation etc if it is raining. It is quite easy to replace if you can get at the dish and doesn't cost much. seewww.satellitesuperstore.com/skylnb.htm

Stephen Andrews
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:52

Not just weather. We had to have our aerial moved and the pole heightened (at our cost!) as the old analogue signal from Walcot became so poor, due to interference largely caused by line of sight tree growth. We live in the lowest part of Park St, and I reckon it was a combination of the huge tree in St Mary's Churchyard and ones next to the transmitter. Luckily the relayed digital signal is OK (note the transmitter position has also been moved) but it is weather dependent and unlike analogue it completely drops out once the signal strength falls below a certain level. When the TV is working you should be easily able to check the relative signal strengthen on the set-up menu of your TV.

Chris Bates
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2012, 09:48

Be aware that weather conditions affect the digital signal far more than they did the analogue - so Freeview is likely to drop in & out depending on weather.

I think it's high pressure, but don't quote me on that.

Pippa Nash
👍

Fri 16 Nov 2012, 21:40

Thank you! Seems to be back now. All very mysterious.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Wed 14 Nov 2012, 18:42

You need to look at your aerial outside. If it points generally toward north Oxford (Beckley to be precise) then it is the main Oxford transmitter. If it points toward Walcot (over the cricket grounds) then it is the local relay. The Oxford transmitter seems fine at the moment. If you are not getting ANY stations, then you might want to check that your antenna connections are tight, at the back of the set and at any signal amplifiers or splitters that are sometimes on the antenna line.

Pippa Nash
👍

Wed 14 Nov 2012, 16:19

I'm not sure. I think it's the local relay. How do I check?

Ian Lewis
👍

Wed 14 Nov 2012, 15:22

Which transmitter is your TV ariel pointed towards? The main Oxford one or the local relay?

Pippa Nash
👍

Wed 14 Nov 2012, 15:04

Has anyone else had problems receiving a Freeview signal? We've struggled this week to get any stations via Freeview. Although it may be our tv, we're trying to eliminate things to find out the cause. I've checked just now and it's still not working. We've tried re-tuning and that didn't work either. We have a fairly new tv so wondered if anyone else had had problems or ideas for solutions?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.