Cattle lowing at night

Charlie M
👍

Tue 16 Oct 2012, 14:54

Or that old Leadbelly song, "Out on the Western Plains", with the refrain "Come a cow-cow, come a cow-cow yicky yicky yea"?

Reg James
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2012, 14:54

Moooooooon river

stephen cavell
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2012, 08:42

Hey Diddle-diddle

Anthony Merry
👍

Fri 12 Oct 2012, 08:14

How about the Mooooon-light sonata

russell robson
👍

Thu 11 Oct 2012, 18:03

I think they prefer Schoenberg to Faure

Anthony Merry
👍

Thu 11 Oct 2012, 16:08

Russel please give the cattle a thankyou for contributing to the rural atmosphere of Charlbury but perhaps they need some choir practice !

James Burrough
👍

Tue 9 Oct 2012, 09:33

Don't say too much more, otherwise the move to the peace and quiet countryside will be ruined.

russell robson
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 18:04

Actually, it is the cattle by the Evenlode that have managed to be on both sides of the river when the rain fell. This means that some of the calves are on the opposite bank to the mothers, and the bull is also seperated from some of his herd.

Their calves have not been taken away they are all just grazing the water meadows.

I'll have a word with them and ask them to keep the mooing down a bit after dark.

PS It's very loud when they get in your garden!

Jackie Hague
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 16:30

Hi Clare, deer are very vocal too. Rutting season is here so you'll hear the stags over the next few weeks. It was very noisy outside around 6am yesterday morning with stags making their presence known. Follow the link below to hear the different sounds made by deer.

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthvideo/8059715/How-to-recognise-deer-calls.html

David McCutcheon
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 16:25

I think they may be between Wigwell and Conygree Farm. Very loud from where I am!

Clare Carswell
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 16:05

Thank you Katie, that is very informative. Having recently moved here from the city this is new to me. Do you know where these cows are located as I would like to see them ? They must be pretty close to the centre of Charlbury to be so audible.

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 15:42

A nice discussion around it here:

orangepatchdairy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/why-do-you-take-calves-from-their.html

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 15:30

It's because they've had their calves taken away. They cry like that for a couple of days and then it subsides. Just the time of year I'm afraid.

brian
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 14:55

Are you sure it's not The Spice Girls rehearsing for their comeback ?

Clare Carswell
👍

Mon 8 Oct 2012, 13:46

Has anyone else heard cattle lowing loudly and incessantly late at night time recently ? I was awake until gone 4am on Sunday morning because of the sound and I have heard it several times in recent weeks. I am now buying ear-plugs so that I can block it out when it next happens. I am in up in Sandford Rise and the noise seems to be coming from the Cornbury direction. Does anyone know where these animals are and why they should be making so much noise so late at night ?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.