Parking up Nineacres Lane

River Tarnell
👍

Fri 19 Oct 2012, 18:23

The problem with people parking too close to junctions is not limited to Nine Acres Lane. Just look at any of the junctions along Woodfield Drive, for example. Most of the time, the left lane at the Hixet Wood turning is completely blocked and the only way to turn in is to go around a blind corner on the wrong side of the road. Same problem with the junction at Rochester Place (where I live), and at the Dancers Hill end if anyone is turning out at the same time.

I don't particularly begrudge people doing this, because they have to park somewhere, but it seems pretty clear that there is not enough parking in Charlbury for the number of people who live here.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Fri 19 Oct 2012, 13:18

The cars parking on the single white line right at the bottom of Nine Acres Lane, on Market street are not just in breach of the Highway Code they make it impossible to approach the junction from the top of Dyers Hill other than partly on the wrong side of the road. Sorry Paul that's not the correct way to enter the junction, and is a significant cause of the problem.
It would help considerably if this were stopped - it also blocks the direction signs to Burford and Chipping Norton which are at ground level - I frequently have to direct people. Which I don't mind really.

The parking on Nine Acres lane is a more difficult issue as the parking there is now quite legal because of the shortness of the double yellow lines.
But Valou is right to point out that the Nine Acres parking just at the end of the yellow lines is an issue without the builders vans and indeed has started before the builders vans started parking there. A trend has already been set it seems.

There will be an "accident" there before long.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Fri 19 Oct 2012, 06:49

Cars are Parked, so bus and Large lorry find it hard to get up the steet, sometime,
car go fast on every street.

Paul Butler
👍

Thu 18 Oct 2012, 23:20

A few liberally parked cars do slow the traffic down and at this junction forces drivers to enter and exit the junction correctly. As chair of the NAG perhaps Valou has a responsibility to avoid residents wasting the time of the Police just because the road looks a bit untidy. More dangerous is the speed of cars entering Park Street and not stopping at the Stop line at Browns Lane. Oh and given the nature of priorities in the Town I am jolly pleased that I moved out recently.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Thu 18 Oct 2012, 17:26

I have now had some more information about the situation. It seems that some vehicles belong to workers working on a building site off Thames Street, and will be there until Christmas. Although they are parked legally, albeit not in accordance with the Highway Code, they have now been made aware of the problem they are causing, and are going to be asked not to park as near the corner as they are now.
But... other vehicles parked there have nothing to do with the building site, and these may start a long term trend. So, if you park there yourself, please refrain from doing so, and if you know someone who does, try to encourage them to park somewhere else. In the meantime, I will liaise with the local police team to discuss the best way to take the matter foward, as part of my role as Chair of the local Neighbourhood Action Group.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Thu 18 Oct 2012, 08:35

What would be really helpful is to find out who parks there and why. Is it a temporary problem, linked to some building work in the vicinity, or is it a problem that has the potential to be long term, caused by rail users unwilling to pay for parking at the station car park? Does anyone have any idea?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 17 Oct 2012, 23:49

Parking is now a West Oxfordshire District Council responsibility: see www.westoxon.gov.uk/environment/fixedpenaltynotices.cfm . "Our civil enforcement officers, known as community wardens, monitor the use of our car parks and streets to ensure that motorists comply with regulations." You can call WODC on 01993 861060 and tell them about any parking that breaks the rules. The Town Council doesn't have any power relating to parking, I'm afraid.

Pippa Nash
👍

Wed 17 Oct 2012, 18:50

The parked cars are making things dangerous and creating unnecessary congestion. I too would like to see some action by Town Council or police, or both.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Wed 17 Oct 2012, 18:47

It got worse, Cars are parking everywhere, we need the Town Council to take action

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Wed 10 Oct 2012, 14:39

Interesting that the problem parking coincided with the County Council's new double yellow lines right on the corners - where no-one ever parked anyway. So where the lines finished seems to have given a signal that it was OK to park from that point on up 9 Acres lane. But it isn't - it's dangerous. The double yellow lines have in fact made the parking worse.

And why don't the police do something about the cars regularly parking on Market Street right on the 9 Acres junction - which is clearly in breach of the Highway Code - forcing vehicles turning right from Market Street up 9 Acres lane to move towards the middle of the road - and also obstructs the signs to Burford and Chipping Norton which are only a couple of feet off the ground. Double yellow lines there might have been of some value.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Wed 3 Oct 2012, 11:24

I have also noticed more vehicles parked here. I think it might have something to do with the building work going on at a house on Thames St, near the junction. Highway code is very clear -
Rule 243
DO NOT stop or park
• opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

Sue Normand
👍

Wed 3 Oct 2012, 09:06

Over the last weeks I've noticed cars parking at the bottom of the lane, quite close to the junction. There was a problem when the bus was trying to turn out but cars were backed up through Thames St as they couldn't turn right. There appear to be more cars each day towards the garage??

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.