Noisy Parties

Helen Holwill
👍

Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:43

Yes, I agree with the EHO that people are totally within their rights to have a noisy party once in a while, but it's all about communication. Forewarned is forearmed, if only psychologically, which cannot be underestimated, but also practically - we can then be away, buy earplugs, attend the party, or throw our own party at the same time! The party-givers may not even be aware of how far the sound carried, or more likely were having such a good time that they did not give it much thought. Kat's advice is spot on, I think. Making a polite request about future parties would open communication and helps to pin down what the acceptable parameters are. One person's late is another person's early. I would urge you to talk to them in a friendly way. One thing I have learnt - there is no value in guessing what someone is thinking or feeling or why they are doing something. Nine times out of ten the opposite of my assumption has proved to be true.

Kat Patrick
👍

Mon 24 Sep 2012, 00:15

Dear Duncan, You should go round to their house and tell them to warn you next time they're planning a similar "do". They have done this for me over the past several years when I complained (and got a bottle of wine in advance every time!). Truth be told, this is the first year they told me it would stop at 1 a.m., and it actually did (previously, I was told a time and it ran past it). As far as I can recall, I think this is only their third noisy party in the ten years I've lived near them, so since they don't make a habit of it, I'm willing to cut them some slack. If, however, you wanted to suggest that midnight (or 11 pm) is more civilized, I wouldn't disagree.

Duncan Forbes
👍

Sun 23 Sep 2012, 14:45

I'd be interested to know what people think is a reasonable amount of noise from nearby parties, especially in light of the discussion about noise from Cornbury earlier in the year. Last night we were kept awake by very loud music from a house nearby which started about 10.30 and went on until about 1.00 a.m. The real sleep-killer was the incessant beat, for which single-glazed windows and a head under the pillow were no obstacle whatever! I phoned the environmental health dept around midnight, to be told that as no other complaints had been received, and the house had not been a regular source of noise, nothing would be done. If it was still going on at 2.00 a.m. I could ring back and they might do something. The EHO said that everyone was entitled to have the odd noisy party now and again, and that they wouldn't act unless either several people complained or it was a regular ocurrence.
Am I being unfair in thinking that this level of noise, to such an hour, is antisocial and unreasonable? I had no idea in advance that the party was happening, and no idea either, during the time it was in progress, when it would stop.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.