Wild Cat spotted

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Thu 4 Oct 2012, 22:50

Thank goodness for you guys! I was beginning to doubt what I had seen. Many have asked me "Was I scared". To those I will say I didnt have time and anyway it didnt appear to be in anyway interested in me as fodder. Besides, I would think that it has such a wonderful diet of venison & rabbit plus others that humans would probably feature very low on its list. I do though find that this encounter has aided my running considerably - especially around the quarry area!

Rachel McCombie
👍

Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:49

I have seen it, in the road on the way into Charlbury from Woodstock. Had to slow almost to a stop to avoid hitting it one evening!

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Tue 18 Sep 2012, 15:18

I spoke to a man over the weekend who sells venison from deer killed around Wychwood Forest. He said that a few years ago he and colleagues arranged for the police to take casts of large paw prints in the area, which were later identified by the Natural History Museum as those of an adult black leopard. He seemed to want to be believed, but who knows. The police or museum would presumably have kept records if his story is true.

Mike Allison
👍

Mon 17 Sep 2012, 22:41

Have you ever seen scat or tracks left by this beastie?

Heather Hill
👍

Sat 15 Sep 2012, 09:05

Me and my husband have seen this cat lots of times now and it often is seen wandering in the field behind us which is right next to the Quarry. We have also seen it in Quarry Lane once when walking the dogs. It is exactly as you described.

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:32

I have just come back from a run (well jog) part of which took me up Quarry Lane. Just past the last of the houses that back on to it, suddenly a large black cat darted across just ahead of me and into the Quarry itself. When I say large, I mean large, it was probably the size of a Labrador, totally black with a long tail.
I, like others have read of the many sightings of these creatures but until today wasnt totally convinced that they actually existed. I know what I saw and this was no domestic cat. It was too large.
Just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar creature recently?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.