Dogs on Nine Acres

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:12

I definitely don't blame all dog owners for the behaviour of a few; most people who I see using Nine Acres are clearly taking a lot of care over what their dog is doing - and where it is doing it, whether playing or something less pleasant! Unfortunately the few owners who don't bother have a disproportionate effect.

Anthony Merry
👍

Fri 21 Sep 2012, 18:00

A useful document on the regulations and indeed the law concerning dog fouling of public places may be found at kb.keepbritaintidy.org/dogs/publications/guidedog.pdf

Matt Cardy
👍

Fri 21 Sep 2012, 15:27

Returning to the 1st point, I would say that temporarily allowing your dog off the lead, say, to play with a ball as many owners do, does not automatically lead to the dogs pooing unchecked. This issue is solely caused by irresponsible owners who will let their dogs poo whether they are on the lead or not, and just not clear up the mess. Unfortunately I dont think there is a simple answer. Just as there isnt a simple answer to stop the other types of antisocial behaviour on 9 acres, people playing loud music, dropping a huge amount of litter etc. etc. I think as a whole dog owners, like myself, are very responsible. It is sad that the sinners make every dog owner suffer by association. The only practical solution I can think of is to put a fence around the playground to at least keep the mess out of this area. It would also perhaps help if there were more dog poo bins provided.

Meraud Ferguson Hand
👍

Fri 21 Sep 2012, 14:31

It's not great when people let their dogs do their thing around the play area, either. There was a large poo right next to the climbing frame last week, and a couple of weeks ago when I asked a man not to let his dogs wee on the climbing frame itself (which one had just done)I got a very unpleasant and aggressive response - apparently his dogs are allowed to wee anywhere they b****y well like, and mothers are far too sensitive nowadays....

Lesley Algar
👍

Sun 16 Sep 2012, 18:49

It is not just on the roads in the town and Nine Acres, but along the Ditchley road, Hundley Way, practically everywhere. People think it is OK just to let their dogs foul in quiet spots as no one will see it. What makes me angry is there are dog bins in most places. Most dog owners like myself pick up the mess. It is just the few who spoil it.

Heather Hill
👍

Sat 15 Sep 2012, 09:09

I too get very annoyed with irresponsible dog owners. I always have to watch where I am stepping when walking my dogs and they have even rolled in it. Come on guys SCOOP THE POOP.

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2012, 09:27

As I write there is a dog warden on Nine Acres, apparently, and she does come out to Charlbury regularly. But of course she can only be there periodically and it is up to everyone to pick up after their own dogs.

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2012, 22:48

It's not just Nine Acres. Woody Lane is really bad & even despite a doggy bin is provided, the amount of dog owners/walkers that go up there have no intention of clearing their dogs mess up is very high & it's regular, local people that I see every day. The smell when it's warm weather is really bad. I never walk up there anymore because you have to always watch where your putting your feet.
The council had said that they don't have the funds to provide dog wardens anymore. But this is a continuing problem that needs to be addressed.

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2012, 13:53

WODC sent a dog warden out to patrol Nine Acres a few weeks ago - I will find out why they haven't contimued and ask them to make sure that there is regular monitoring.

Lesley Algar
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:42

Judith,

It is not just in nine acres but everywhere in Charlbury. It makes all dog owners look bad. There are doggy bins about but it makes no difference. I have two dogs and would not dream of going out without bags. Perhaps the council could introduce fines.

Judith Haynes
👍

Sun 9 Sep 2012, 20:10

I am become increasingly fed up with irresponsible dog owners who let their dogs run around on Nine Acres without leads and allow them to do their business on the tennis courts and football pitches. I had the very unpleasant job of clearing up a large quantity of canine excrement from one of the back tennis courts last week. It is extremely anti-social and indeed dangerous to health. Any ideas about what can be done?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.