Weight restriction on bridge

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2012, 19:31 (last edited on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 19:32)

The work is being done by the county council and our county councillor is Neil Owen. His e mail address is neil.owen@oxfordshire.gov.uk. Phone number 01993 830875. He will be able to find out (I hope)

Susan Way
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2012, 17:16

Does any councillor know or can they find out when the bridge repairs will start(and finish)?

The school bus to Burford is now going the long way round via Leafield to avoid the bridge (and taking much longer to get to school, naturally) but I keep seeing large lorries going over it as though the signs weren't there.

John Kearsey
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2012, 14:37

According to the Council notice by the weight restriction signs, the limit comes into force on 28 August. However, there are no signs warning HGV drivers coming from Chipping Norton or Burford that this weight limit is coming into force. It would be interesting to see how a lorry driver, on encountering the weight restriction coming down Dyer's Hill is supposed to avoid breaking the law. Reversing back up Dyers Hill and Thames Street would be an interesting manoeuvre to say the least!

Ann Harper
👍

Tue 7 Aug 2012, 00:39

The County Council asked for the use of the Cricket Club car park so that their workmen could start on the bridge repairs. This was on 17 July and I was under the impression that work was to start immediately.

John Dora
👍

Sun 5 Aug 2012, 17:46

I surmise that the signs have been covered because a key diversionary route - via Spelsbury - has been closed for the long-awaited surfacing repairs

Kate Smith
👍

Sat 4 Aug 2012, 11:26

There doesn't seem to be any action recently, but I notice that the restriction signs have been covered with black plastic - does anyone know why? Lorries are still going over the bridge in the meantime.

Trev Jones
👍

Sat 4 Aug 2012, 10:01

I heard that repairs weren't due until next year. The weight restriction is to stop the bridge collapsing before then. Can anyone confirm?

Ann Harper
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:23

It will be a relief for the residents at this end of Charlbury not to have huge lorries trying to negotiate the turn into Thames Street from Dyers Hill and causing chaos. Repairs to the river bridge start tomorrow.

John Kearsey
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2012, 08:22

I am sure the residents of Dyers Hill and Thames Street will enjoy the welcome break from HGV's trying to negotiate the junction with Market Street and Thames Street. Although it can sometimes provide entertaining street theatre, resident's cars are frequently scratched and wing mirrors broken by trucks squeezing through.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.