B4026 Spelsbury-Charlbury Rd

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 2 Jul 2012, 13:43

Fed up with having to drive on third world roads, I emailed our MP. I also emailed the Health & Safety Executive as the state of the B4026 could be deemed to be a risk to public transport services.

I have received a reply from Mr Cameron's office this morning indicating that the matter is being taken up with County Councillor Rodney Rose.

I just hope that we shall see appropriate action soon. Patching will not work, the worst damage at present is next to where the patching was done last time.

Jenny Chambers
👍

Fri 15 Jun 2012, 18:05

Oxfordshire CC have today responded to my report through www.fixmystreet.co.uk
The salient bit is this- 'We do have some works planned for this road, which will take place at the start of the summer holidays. The whole road will be closed for structural patching'.

Jenny Chambers
👍

Thu 14 Jun 2012, 19:54

I've just reported the potholes on www.fixmystreet.com
Other potholes reported through this site over the past few months have resulted in prompt remedial action!

Jonathan Mazower
👍

Thu 14 Jun 2012, 17:31

I would also encourage people to report this to the OCC Highways Dept (0845 310 11 11 or email: highwayenquiries@oxfordshire.gov.uk). It is unquestionably now one of the worst roads in the region. When I rang recently, I was told it would be 'patched' this summer, but not dealt with properly until 2014. Only concerted pressure will push it up their list.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Tue 12 Jun 2012, 17:46

I have had an answerphone message today in response to my complaint. Apparently, a road safety survey was carried out on the road last week and they have now sheduled some works which will require the road to be closed for a while after the end os the school summer term. However, I got the impression from the message that this is patching work only and not the full re-surfacing that the road needs (unlike Chadlington!)

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Tue 12 Jun 2012, 17:05 (last edited on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 17:07)

If you think this is bad some of the main A roads are even worse!
I was returning home on the A415 on Friday after a business trip to the south coast. I had two alloy wheels and tyres damaged and had to be recovered home from Abingdon on a low loader by the RAC.
Cant replace the alloys as they are not made any more so have to buy a complete new set! Hole was so deep also damaged the front bumper. Total cost of damage may be up to £1000. Ruined all my plans for the weekend as had no car until I could get another tyre & wheel. This meant a 60 mile round trip to Thame and yet more expense.
Apparently claims to OCC for damage to vehicles due to their lack of road maintenance has more than doubled over the past couple of years which seems very short sighted.

Andrea Swinburne
👍

Tue 12 Jun 2012, 16:05

Totally agree with you Helen. The council seem to be repairing roads that quite frankly can wait and not the above mentioned which is in need of repair.

russell robson
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:25

Hi Helen,

I have been reporting this road monthly for 18 months. As you say repairs are now delayed until the next financial year.

I am making my second insurance claim against the the county having ruined a pair of bike wheels hitting a 10cm pothole. The road is unsafe for cycling now.

I would suggest writing to your local county councillor and MP, if you know their names.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:04 (last edited on Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:04)

Can I urge as many residents as possible to complain to the council about the state of this road? It is now so heavily degraded as to be unsafe and the recent heavy rain is making it even worse.
You can make a notification using the report a problem link on the Oxfordshire County Council website
www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/public-site/roads-and-transport
I am hoping that if enough people complain that action will be taken earlier than scheduled date of 2013-14. I cannot see that the road will survive another winter.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.