Charlbury Readers' Evening in October

Amanda Epps
👍

Wed 3 Oct 2012, 12:21

Salley Vickers gave a talk on Miss Garnet's Angel in the Morris Room some years ago when it was first published and Grace Fredericks was present.

Clare Carswell
👍

Wed 3 Oct 2012, 12:16

Edward's remarks are helpful. I am sure that it will be fascinating to hear Salley Vickers speak about her latest book. I am planning to buy an advance copy from Evenlode Books and at least start to read it before 12th. I am enjoying Aphrodite's Hat at the moment. I appreciate the helpful responses from Kathy and Jon on this. I am looking forward very much to the evening and hope that my friends will still feel that they want to come along too.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 3 Oct 2012, 07:25

I see this as a great two-for-one offer!

Edward Fenton
👍

Tue 2 Oct 2012, 23:16 (last edited on Tue 2 Oct 2012, 23:17)

I can't really talk specifically about Salley Vickers, but last week my daughter and I went down to London to see/hear J.K. Rowling talking about her latest book. Not surprisingly, around 60% of the time was spent talking about her previous books. Of course authors want to concentrate on their current work - but of course, equally, they can't separate this from their previous work. So I'd say that if you're interested in Salley Vickers's work, go along - you'll get an insight into much more than you bargained for.

Kathy Broughton
👍

Tue 2 Oct 2012, 21:10

I apologise to all who are disappointed that Salley Vickers will be talking about her new book. With an hour devoted to the interview, I'm sure that is not the only book discussed. If anyone has any particular questions for Ms Vickers regarding Miss Garnet's Angel, I'm sure that Cicely, the interviewer, will be grateful for them.
There will also be an opportunity to discuss Miss Garnet's Angel during the time after the interview while we are all eating dinner. I myself am re-reading it in preparation for the evening in addition to a couple of Ms Vickers' other books.
For anyone who like the works of this author, I still think it will be a most enjoyable evening.
To John Harrison--I could find no email from him as stated. I don;t know what happened there.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 2 Oct 2012, 19:31

Copies of 'The Cleaner of Chartres' are being shipped specially from the printer to Evenlode Books during the week before the talk. Officially, the book is not published until November, so you can't buy it anywhere else. If you want to read the book before the talk (and ask Salley to sign it), do reserve a copy now. Phone 819117 or email jon@evenlodebooks.co.uk

But I agree that people should be entitled to a refund if the talk is not as advertised. As one of the ticket sellers, I feel quite bad about this, and would certainly refund anyone who has bought a ticket from the bookshop if they are dissatisfied. I'm not standing in someone else's firing line!

john h
👍

Tue 2 Oct 2012, 19:03

If this indeed the case, my Sister And Myself bought tickets to hear about Miss Garnets Angels, then do we qualify for a refund.

Hilda Harrison

My husband did email K Broughton after Her post on 22nd Sept asking if program was as advertised, but had no reply.

Clare Carswell
👍

Tue 2 Oct 2012, 18:50

I bought 4 tickets for this event some weeks ago expressly because it was advertised as being a talk about Miss Garnet's Angel and we are all re-reading it again in anticipation of the event next week. I now see from this recent post that Salley Vickers is in fact going to be talking about her new novel that night. If so, interesting though that will be, it is a disappointment to fans of Miss Garnet's Angel who booked to hear her talk about that novel as was billed.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 1 Oct 2012, 20:19

Looking forward to it.

Kathy Broughton
👍

Sat 22 Sep 2012, 17:51

UPDATE--Sally Vickers will be talking about her NEW BOOK, "The Cleaner of Chartres", and copies should be available for purchase at the event. Tickets are available at Evenlode Books, New 'n Things and the Post Office.

Kathy Broughton
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:00

Update on this event--the featured book will be Miss Garnet's Angel because of its connection with Grace Fredericks, to whom the book is dedicated. If you haven't read it already, I urge you to do so. It's wonderful, especially if you love Venice.

Kathy Broughton
👍

Tue 22 May 2012, 15:35

I'd just like to alert Charlbury book group/club members, and interested non-members, to an event in October. The author Salley Vickers will be the featured guest for a Charlbury Readers' Evening with Salley Vickers, October 12th, Memorial Hall. More information on the Events page, but way down the list. Hold the date if interested.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.