Gardening in Charlbury March 2012

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:50

Although I believe I remember reading that the Good Friday potato planting tradition was based around the fact that it was a long job and, years ago, Easter was the only time available to get the job done. Since Easter moves around, it seems unlikely to be weather based.

Julie Negus
👍

Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:41

When my children were smaller coming to Charlbury to plant Potatoes on Good Friday was tradition.

Bryan Silman
👍

Tue 20 Mar 2012, 04:21

Old saying.
Early potatoes, Good Friday.
Runner Beans Stow Fair.

john h
👍

Thu 15 Mar 2012, 20:02

John
Depends on the season, I have grown them outside for 3 seasons, the first year I had so many tomatoes,60% had to be made in to chutney etc. the last two years-rubbish,they were grown on different parts of the garden. Never had any luck growing them in a green house. will try again this year, seed already set and up to second leaves will take a lot of TLC 'til May, will see what happens.

John

David Homewood
👍

Thu 15 Mar 2012, 17:48

Thanks John...

judy , give me a call if you are interested in the bushes, they are 10yrs old at least but fruit well.

John Lanyon
👍

Thu 15 Mar 2012, 16:53

@ Jody and David. Fruit bushes can be successfully transplanted but do not do so well in pots - so better in the soil.
Has anyone in Charlbury tried growing plum tomatoes? How did you get on?

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Tue 13 Mar 2012, 19:16

do you think the fruit bushes would survive being put into large pots/containers? don't have an allotment, though I might be able to dig some more of my front garden up for them... do have a sunny patio though with pot space and would be very interested in white/redcurrent bushes. :~)

David Homewood
👍

Sun 11 Mar 2012, 20:54

We have some mature red/white/black currant shrubs available, I am not sure if they do transplant though....

John Lanyon
👍

Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:19 (last edited on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:20)

There's really no hurry to plant your early potatoes. I think they are very sensitive to soil temperature, so I prefer to wait a bit. I've been digging out the compost from my bin, remaking herbaceous borders and cutting the grass for the first time. I prefer to sow the cabbage tribe and leeks in a seedbed outdoors rather than starting them in pots. I think you get stronger plants, but I know many gardeners do it the other way.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2012, 15:34

I have erygniums, hollyhocks and aconitum volubile in a plastic "greenhouse". They were sown indoors mid Feb because my daughter couldn't wait (and people keep giving us seeds). The aconitum was getting a bit leggy inside but they're all doing OK under the plastic so far.

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2012, 12:13

Most of my garden is under deciduous trees so it's almost at its peak now before the leaves are on the trees - full of snowdrops and hellebores and have just planted some pink hellebore seeds to try and increase the numbers. Surprised to see some early tulips too. I know Monty suggests planting seeds from 15th February onwards but I think I've been too previous - I've got cosmos sprouting like mad already on windowsills - but I think it's too cold to put them into the greenhouse yet so they're going to get too spindly.

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2012, 19:06

Spring is sort of on its way and I think there are things that can be done in the garden.

I've planted my early potatoes (rather early perhaps) but I've found that provided I earth them up well they are safe from frosts ?" even in my frost pocket.

Seeds have been planted of tomatoes and parsley on my window sill, and leeks and broad beans in the cold greenhouse.
have people done in Charlbury?

This Friday, Gardeners' World returns with Monty Don at 8.00 on BBC2. A must for all Gardeners ?" tells you what you should be doing next week.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.