Margaret Thatcher: a fitting memorial (Debate)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 9 Jan 2012, 15:51

I'm no fan of Conservative politicians either national or local, but when a thread starts talking about spitting on people's graves I think it's probably best placed in the Grease Pit.

Charlie M
👍

Mon 9 Jan 2012, 07:36

I considered this problem in some depth a few years ago. My solution was a national memorial in the shape of a giant spittoon, which would allow the nation to pay its respects in the most appropriate manner.
I agree with the idea of a privatised funeral, but not a state funeral, as we the taxpayers would inevitably end up paying for some of it.

Alison Cherry
👍

Sat 7 Jan 2012, 21:33

Brian, perhaps she could be holding a bottle of milk!

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 7 Jan 2012, 16:43 (last edited on Sat 7 Jan 2012, 16:45)

Yes I think we need something appropriate to remind us of one of the most devisive leaders in the history of politics and presided over one of the most gross and selfish times in our society of me, me, me. In fact its politicians of all persuasions since the 50's that has put the country in the dire situation its is now. They shy away from making the very difficult but right decisions because all they are interested in is being re-elected.

I don't think a state funeral would appropriate at all. I could suggest a fitting memorial but would be in-appropriate in this forum!

brian
👍

Sat 7 Jan 2012, 12:56

A statue made of coal perhaps?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 7 Jan 2012, 11:43

I'd like to think that, when she dies, this country could come up with a fitting memorial and a suitable testimony to the life's work of a great lady.

A petition has been started here: epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18914 to urge the government to privatise her state funeral, thus at once relieving the taxpayer of the financial burden and also opening the occasion to the great entrepreneurial initiative of our proud nation.

Once the target of 100,000 signatures has been reached, the proposal is eligible for parliamentary debate.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.